Assembling Thematic Koshirea

obiwanknabbe

Hi All,

I seem to recall a while back a discussion on the subject of assembling thematic koshirea. I am in the midst of doing just that and I am looking for a little feedback from those of you in the know. What I have in mind is a bit of a fishing them, but in the more natural sense. In keeping with what i understand of tradition from what i remember about that earlier thread, there is a bit of a personal joke behind this. My Iaido sensei has often referred to a certain cutting technique as being akin to surf-casting.

Sorry only some pics as i don't actually have them yet but ill try to describe them as AOI deletes photos after an item is sold

So far I have:

A Gold inlayed Kingfisher sitting on a fishing pole Kashira, Silver inlayed Moon over water reeds fuchi (matched set).

Shibuichi Fish menki in which one fish appears to be protecting the other behind it. (pic follows)

I am considering this carp themed tsuba as well...

What else would you folks recommend? Is there something else i should be considering?

Thanks in advance...

Kurt K

post-2510-0-41391300-1458834452_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-83561100-1458834906_thumb.jpg

Hi Kurt, all down to personal preference.

If you plan a koshirae with no Kozuka/Kogai, then personally I wouldn't bother with a tsuba with Hitsu-ana.

Make sure you get measurements of nakago-ana, you don't want to be having to file an antique tsuba to make it fit your nakago.

A wave theme tsuba sounds good.

As much as it can be a waste of money (not see a return), I would advice using decent fittings for a decent sword. Poor fittings on a decent sword may actually put some future buyers off, some may consider a new shirasaya to be a necessary replacement. If you already have shirasaya don't be tempted to use that for the new saya.

A good learning experience.

• Like 1

Just an update and seeking opinions... 

I have just gotten my mitts on this lovely tsuba from Tsuba-no-Bi up in Canada. Let me add that dealing with Mr. La Pelletier was a pleasure. He even offered me a discount because it was my first purchase.

I was thinking of adding a Ise Ebi (lobster/shrimp) themed Kojiri and Kurikata as a nod to the old myth of the Great bird and the Lobster. http://www.printsofjapan.com/The_Many_Uses_of_Ebi.htm 

What do you guys think of the combination?

Any idea where i can find such a Kojiri/kurikata set? I know Fred L. has reproductions, but i would rather keep everything original.

Thanks guys!

Kurt K

post-2510-0-85008300-1459314308_thumb.jpg

Hi Kurt

I am at this very time doing just what you are trying to achieve. One of the important aspects of the task, is to get it 'right'.

My problem was to source the fittings, not only to theme, but also to fit. Tsuba's of age deserve respect, and file alterations are deffo a no.no.

Plain guesswork, or taking a chance, will end up with you buying pieces that don't fit or just don't look right in hand.

For me the task was greatly helped by having good friends, that I could talk to and visit, to chat out the various aspects of the task.

With blade in hand and a selection of themed fittings available, i achieved the perfect outcome.

A blade in shirasaya is a blank canvas. My initial task was an habaki, then seppas, now ready a tsuba that fits, one with a 'theme', from there you have your base.

Take your time! I am into 30 months up to now, and still some way to go. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Edit:  Should you find a tsuba that is fitted with sekigane (fitting inserts) and they are preventing the fit, it is acceptable to file the inserts to fit. But then check that the nagako ana, is a comfortable shape under the seppa.

Of course there are many original ensuite koshirae, but I was under the belief that most "tasteful" koshirae were complimentary, not totally matching. By "tasteful", I mean using Japanese aesthetics. Any thoughts? Not a criticism of anyones taste or koshirae.

Rich

Hi Rich

The word 'tasteful' has a key role here for me. Tasteful to who? Japanese and Western tastes don't always run together, some times never.

So from which ever perspective you are viewing from, will perhaps answer.

By "tasteful" I meant by Japanese aesthetics. Something along the lines of shaduko/nanako gold fish F/K, iron wave tsuba, maybe a boat/fisherman menuki. While I'm aware that Japanese and Western aesthetics are not the same, I was just wondering about the mountings for Nihonto in Japanese style. I do feel (just my opinion) that Nihonto should be mounted as the Japanese would do so.

Rich

Rich is absolutely right. One has also to consider that Japanese fittings have symbolic meaning and often refer to legends, tales, poems, etc.

I have an aikuchi koshirae that has a menuki of moon and sun and the kanji for jin (man) on the saya and it refers to a Chinese poem about the transient nature of life. When you have a cuckoo, the moon will be a matching motif, plovers will go together with waves, where there is a pine needle, expect plum blossoms and bamboo, etc, etc.

I recommend reading "Legend in Japanese Art":

https://archive.org/details/legendinjapanese00jolyuoft

Hi

Ideally finding someone within travelling distance would help

I live in the centre of England and some one who wanted a tsuba to fit lived about 1 1/2 hours travel away

He was able to try loads of tsuba and decided on two that were a perfect fit

One was an Owari style and the other ko kinko and although totally different both worked with his koshirae

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..