Katana Koshirae

autodex

As a noobie here, I've come to realize that most blades with koshirae are of sufficient quality to warrant having koshirae - most low to mid-level blades don't have koshirae. In other words, proper koshirae are custom made for the blade which means that the blade is worth it, correct? Put another way, what is the minimum value of a blade to warrant having koshirae made for it?

It's not really "proper" to just buy koshirae separately because then you can't even mount the blade (because the koshirae wasn't made for that specific blade). Or, is it common to buy existing koshirae for a blade and then have it adjusted or altered so that the blade can be mounted with the fittings and scabbard?

This is what I've been able to surmise, but tell me if I'm out to lunch on this...

John,

First paragraph, last sentence, question: Nowadays or in the past? at more than 95% all blades, in the past, had their koshirae independantly of their quality. Nowadays, it is expensive to have one made so if you want one you will order one only if the blade is worth it.

Second paragraph: Nowadays, it is common to buy existing koshirae for a blade and then have it adjusted or altered so that the blade can be mounted with the fittings and scabbard. But be careful you have to find one which needs only small modifications/adjustments.

Bazza is quite correct.

Choices and options are as wide and varied as opinions. I even have a couple of clients that collect Koshirae only (without blade) this also includes having classic koshirae styles made for an existing tsunagi only. . . .

Kam

I think the collecting experience of the sword owner has as much or more to say about whether koshirae is made than the value of the sword.  Beginners want to have koshirae made for everything, even lowly Showa-to.  More experienced collectors tend not to do this, realizing that in the end they'll have something put together rather than a historical artifact and that also, in the real end, they'll lose serious money on the project.

Grey

• Like 2

I think the collecting experience of the sword owner has as much or more to say about whether koshirae is made than the value of the sword.  Beginners want to have koshirae made for everything, even lowly Showa-to.  More experienced collectors tend not to do this, realizing that in the end they'll have something put together rather than a historical artifact and that also, in the real end, they'll lose serious money on the project.

Grey

This.

Alex

I feel I have inadvertantly ruffled your feathers. So I will give a friendly reply. .

-this ;-) (below)

Bazza is quite correct.

Choices and options are as wide and varied as opinions. I even have a couple of clients that collect Koshirae only (without blade) this also includes having classic koshirae styles made for an existing tsunagi only. . . .

Kam

Grey

Yes for some this is true, depending on if you are collecting for historical context. Lucky for some of us craftsman others collect for other reasons including above mentioned collectors.

Kam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..