New Facebook Group

I've started a new group on Facebook for those looking to learn, share their knowledge of Japanese swords and related themes, and otherwise expand their exposure to things Japanese...I have uploaded a few articles-WWII era sword company logos, early 20th century smiths, some interesting photos of massive shrine blades from an exhibit I attended in Nikko last summer, and many other things...

It is a private group to limit the chinese fakes, scams, and other riff raff. If interested, please send a request for membership...

group name: 鐵會 Tetsu Kai    (on Facebook)

post-769-0-40188100-1458425122_thumb.png

• Like 2

It's on Facebook, for a start. And it is a closed group, meaning membership is not open to the public-it's for sword people so there won't be any "please translate my Chinese fake" or "how much is my uncle Festus' sword worth?" posts, spam, etc. It's meant to be a bs free environment for those interested in learning, sharing, and serious (well, we'll aim high, anyway!) study.

My apologies Pete if I have offended your sense of decorum or your gentle sensibilities by offering yet another avenue for those interested in Japanese swords. I have always felt that the more opportunities for sharing and exchanging knowledge, the better off we all are. I would like to think those truly interested in the field realize it's not a zero sum game and would welcome such news. Guess you can't please everybody.

• Like 1

Then, of course, there are a few of us who haven't succumbed to social media, & refuse to have Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Google +/Pinterest/Reddit/Tumblr/Flickr/etc...etc...etc....

I've even somehow managed to run my computer consulting firm for the past 30 years without being...umm...social.  But good luck with your effort, Chris.

Ken

• Like 1

I have always felt that the more opportunities for sharing and exchanging knowledge, the better off we all are.

No-one would argue with that. But soliciting members for a new group that will be handpicked by you, on the very board that you obviously think so low about, takes indeed a lot of chutzpah.

• Like 1

It would seem a contradiction in claiming I am both soliciting members and handpicking them....First of all, I am not "handpicking" members- I have no control over who applies and have approved everyone who has chosen to join with the exception of one person who apparently couldn't agree to the terms of membership.

Secondly, I haven't discussed my opinion of this "board" with you here so you are engaging in nothing more than idle speculation at best by supposing to know what I think.

But I will tell you that as someone who has 3 times the post count you have here, and has spent much more of his time here than you have, that the "board" is just fine. Like many others, I just don't have time anymore to deal with the annoying behavior of a few people, case in point, this thread: I post an open and friendly invitation to people with a sincere interest to join a new group to share and exchange information and I get my ankles chewed by people who not only lack the self-restraint and decency to control their petty nastiness, but who also lack the initiative to create anything of substance themselves to contribute to the community at large. So much easier to tear down rather than build.

But enough-I won't get sucked any further down into this drain field of negativity...Those interested in a positive experience, please join. Or don't....whatever...

It's a Sunday, power has been out since 10pm last night 12 hours ago, and my phone is almost flat. So I'll just smile and watch the debate.

Chutzpah? 100% textbook case.

But I'm a mensch, so it doesn't worry me. People should learn as much as they can, where they can. And sometimes people like their own little place where they can delete stuff they don't agree with. Recent events bear this out.

As for Facebook? Disposable discussion. Once you have read something, it's gone. It's not some wonderful archive that you can go back a year later and research. I find it quite blah. But some like it, as it's quick and easy. And takes very little effort.

Me, I don't mind the questions and newbie discussions. I find I learn a lot from the answers. Even when looking at the fakes.

"Private" forums have existed for ages. Ask members here how well they usually work out. Usually only when everyone agrees not to differ in their opinions. Good luck with that!

Facebook is clamping down on all weapons lately anyways. They are banning discussions of anything to do with guns, and knives and swords are next. They don't care about antiques or art swords.

Anyways, good luck...so long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Like 2

Then, of course, there are a few of us who haven't succumbed to social media, & refuse to have Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Google +/Pinterest/Reddit/Tumblr/Flickr/etc...etc...etc....

I've even somehow managed to run my computer consulting firm for the past 30 years without being...umm...social.  But good luck with your effort, Chris.

Ken

X2   but good luck Chris.

I do wish we could all get on, a small community, and would be good to have ALL the guys in the know sharing their Knowledge here on NMB.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..