Seppa Thickness

Alex A

Been looking at seppa, got a slight wiggle on a tsuba. Most seppa I see on fleebay are thin, around 1mm. Not something I look into on a regular basis but does anyone know how thick antique seppa get up to?

Looking at some of the prices on fleebay for aged (bent, rough) seppa, seems their worth their weight in silver lol.

Thicker seppa would sort the problem.

38 x 22mm.

cheers

Aftermarket cast seppa (and shitodome) are absolutely awful.. Often very shinny and obviously fake as well as ill fitting. I have tried making seppa from both copper and brass sheet without true success.. That is to say, I can shape them ok and make them a good fit with both the nakago and the fuchi or koiguchi, but I cannot for the life of me master the very fine detail around the edges.. As for gold or silver foil; forget it.. Thats why old seppa are worth their weight in gold.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous persons swap out good tsuba for bad ill fitting or loose ones and sometimes rob the seppa and shitodome as well for a few extra dollars… I heard it mentioned here before about the 'old drop tsuba'...

Anyway, my advice is to commission one of the extremely talented tosogu artists to make some for you. That way they would fit properly and look professional - far better than any amateur made set.

Perhaps someone is making these as a hobby and has mastered a rope or key fret finish..? That might be useful.

Good luck..

Barrie.

• Like 1

Hi Barry,

Thanks; I'll look it up.. I have tried using needle files, but even they are too big and I am not accurate enough. Just like making Habaki, they are best left to the professionals I feel, although I imagine seppa are not the dream commission these guys are seeking.. 

I wonder if seppa were are trade of their own or perhaps the junior/ apprentice kinko makers were making them to develop their skills.. A bit like basic fitting when I did my apprenticeship.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Barrie.

Cheers guys.

Had a bit more time for messing with it today, not had it long. Its all good when I push the tsuka on tight, holes line up, no movement in tsuba.

When I leave that job up to the mekugi peg, it goes a bit loose again.

Will try a new peg, reckon that might do the job.

Checkering file.. They are definitely the go.. did a bit or research last night and I will definitely be chasing one of those up.. Wish I had known about them before.. Thanks.

Good luck with whichever way you go Alex..

Barrie.

Alex have you checked the size of the ana in the nakago, against the ana in the tsuka.

Should the nakago ana, be larger than that in the tsuka, it will not snug up to tight, there will always be play.

A thicker seppa will of course set back the mekugi against the nakago ana.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..