I just had one exhibitor with an emergency illness..... So if anyone wants a last minute tables let me know. I have had peope request tables Friday at the show so if you want one let me know right away.

See you all there soon

here are some pictures. The show seemed to go smoothly. I saw a person bring in a kabuto for sale, someone brought in a 28" katana with cutting test and sold it, a tanto by Satsuma Motohira  (these were off the street, out of the woodwork so no papers), some nice military swords came in, a navy with shagreen saya that was very clean, a number of army swords, not sure what types of blades, there seemed a steady flow of traffic and at 3pm sunday (closing time) there were still quite a few exhibitors still open and doing business. There were a number of Juyo swords at the show, some available for sale some for display. I heard from a number of exhibitors who were very happy with some items they found, nice large ko-kinko tsuba, a potential kamakura daito found on a table. A lot of table holders are local so you only see their items at this show as they do not travel.  

Hopefully some other NMB members will comment on their thoughts when they return home and are settled, my view is from the perspective of the promoter.

post-79-0-84151100-1462201382_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-71552500-1462201398_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-95381800-1462201414_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-10439000-1462201431_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-66443600-1462201468_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-63512900-1462201564_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Went to the show on Saturday. Ortho doctor probably won't be pleased as I was the guy hobbling around in an ankle boot due to a fractured ankle bone. Oh well, 6 hours of roaming around HAS to be good for it... right?

Anyway, a great show from my point of view. Always meet some great people, see and touch things I would never see, learn a lot of new things, and usually try something new... and covet many, many things.

This year for the first time, I sat in on the tosogu kantei presentation by Mike Yamasaki. I have to admit, I thought it was going to be Mike teaching kantei points (which he did), but I didn't realize I would be at a table as part of a kantei team!!! It only took a few minutes to realize I was in WAY over my head and was kinda looking for a quick and graceful exit... but then thought "what the heck". The knowledge of the gentlemen at my table was amazing (as was their patience). While I tried to comment when I was comfortable, I usually went the old adage of not proving my ignorance by opening my mouth too often, and actively listening to those who could teach me. A well done session on every level. Biggest take aways were were: 1) not everything is as it seems, and 2) being a part of a kantei team is no easy task and I have a different perspective for what they must go through.

I also brought along a wakizashi I purchased a while back to get a few opinions on. Several gentlemen gave their opinions/advice and I am grateful for the input. It is no 'national treasure' for sure, but I have some leads to research. I kinda joked that 'it got called every name in the book' (and in every way too)! Once again, a special 'thank you' to Mike Yamasaki for his input on the blade and for the extra time he took to answer my questions both at the kantei session and when evaluating the blade. I received my own mini kantei session on the blade. He was generous with his time and knowledge, as were several other people, and I am grateful to all. I have learned over the years of attending the shows that different people have different 'styles' of communication. It can be a bit daunting at times, especially for a newbie... but my only advice is that if you are new, accept ALL advice no matter how it is given... smile and learn... some lessons are tougher than others... and don't be afraid to ask several opinions.

Overall, I had a wonderful day. As with many I am sure, money was tight this year, so I had to limit myself to a DVD purchase (Death of a Tea Master). Hope to save up for a purchase at next year's show. Saw too many things I wanted. A kid in a candy store day! I am truly fortunate to have this wonderful resource in literally 'my back yard' as I live only a few miles away.

GREAT SHOW!

Mark S.

• Like 5

To echo Oyabun - Mark and crew (all family) do a wonderful job! For table holders to receive a bag of "necessities" is great - snacks, water, kleenex etc. To have a cart for bringing things in from the car without having to go through a bell hop is great. To offer a suite for refreshments in the evening is great and on and on.... It may not be the biggest but to me it is the best. 

Mark has done a great job in revitalizing the Chicago show. Thanks for a job well done.

• Like 1

I had a great time at the show.  It is always humbling  to be around so many knowledgeable people.  I shared some great stories and laughter with old friends, and met a few people that I have only known from here.

There were a few really nice swords that I had the time to inspect closely in hand.  It is such a great experience to closely inspect a hundred or more nihonto throughout the day. 

A special thank you to Mike, who was so patient, taking time to teach.  His lesson on appraisal was educational and fun.  How often does one get a chance to hold a tsuba made by Musashi himself? 

Thanks to him, and all the other gentlemen who made the event so enjoyable and educational.

• Like 2

First, thanks so much to Mark for another great time. He and his family really do everything they can to make certain everyone is taken care of. These shows are no easy task and require an incredible amount of effort so we all should be thankful for those who take up the task to make them possible.

I had a very good time seeing friends and some absolutely wonderful fittings and swords. I got to see the Natsuo menuki which will soon be on Darcy's site ( http://www.nihonto.ca/)along with the Joshin futatokoromono he posted here, a killer Juyo Ko Hoki (as in Heian Jidai!) and a Norishige to die for. Unfortunately I missed seeing the nidai Hikozo tsuba Mike Yamasaki had with but I couldn't get away form the table Saturday afternoon. He also had a sublime Joshin gold kozuka with. The highlight for me was seeing in hand a wonderful Nobuie tsuba in prime condition which was purchased by a good friend. Classic, sublime craftsmanship. You know, I don't know what I was thinking and just totally forgot to bring 200K with me this trip but -- it won't happen again...ROFLMAO!!!

• Like 1

Mark, thanks for organizing a great show.  Looking back at this thread, I wish I had joined you on saturday night.  I have not met most of the NMB members yet, even though we have conversations on this site all the time!  The show went well for me.  I sold 8 swords and bought one kamakura era katana for restoration.  Cheers, Surf

Mark, thanks for organizing a great show.  Looking back at this thread, I wish I had joined you on saturday night.  I have not met most of the NMB members yet, even though we have conversations on this site all the time!  The show went well for me.  I sold 8 swords and bought one kamakura era katana for restoration.  Cheers, Surf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..