2016 Tampa Nthk-Npo Shinsa Afterthoughts....

I returned home late last evening from Tampa, where it was sunny and 70F, to a virtual whiteout as we drove in a snow storm 1 1/2 hours home from the airport. Averaging quite literally 2 hours of sleep a night for 5 straight nights, I enjoyed 16 uninterrupted hours of the best sleep I can remember...Yes, Arnold's comments were correct, it was an exhausting experience. However, it was also pure enjoyment to see so many friends and to make new ones as well. I am just relieved there isn't a shinsa or show every month....While I saw hundreds of nice swords and kodogu, the best part of my week was the many deep and meaningful conversations with like minded people and all the stories and laughter....

As for the shinsa, lots of nice things came through. The shinsa team said the overall level was higher than what they actually usually receive in Japan every month. They felt like the collectors in the US were gaining in their knowledge and appreciation. There were a dozen or so items that were truly superb-  a fine Rai blade, a ko-Bizen blade, a few tsuba that scored 80 and 85 points....and many nice gendai-to, which of course made me happy to see...

They did comment on the poor state of polish of many blades, and on the many blades with sub-par amateur polishes. There were a few very nice blades which they felt were done a great disservice by not having them properly restored....Preaching to the choir there....

Miyano sensei did indeed make it, but almost had to cancel again at the last moment. He was under the weather the whole time but hid it well. While everyone else seemed to drag a bit by the end of their usual 10 hour day, he seemed to gain power and become more and more energized as the day went along.

He had been in the hospital a few weeks before they were scheduled to come and had to get his doctor's approval just before they left. He promised his doctor it would be a relaxing vacation and was able to get the OK. I knew quickly that he was still hurting but he plowed through it all. I heard many positive comments about his informal, off the cuff talk on Saturday evening and I think his deep passion shown through though I doubt many knew of his poor condition. Whether people realized it or not, what they saw Saturday evening was the grit of a true samurai.

I thanked him when they left, telling him how much it meant to me and to all who attended, and that I understood how hard it was for him. He told me he had made a promise to come, so he had no choice but to come...I know that despite the difficulties he had, he was deeply touched by the passion shown by those who attended and by the many who took the time to thank him. I think he fed on the all the excitement and positiveness around him...Several times I had to remind him that we were conducting a shinsa, not a kantei, and could he please try to keep things moving, as he was prone to break into a 10 minute lecture whenever something came through that got him excited...

There are so many people who went out of their way to help and so many who extended their kind offers to help- I really can't name them all but first I want to thank all those who submitted to the shinsa, and I want to call out Joe Forcine and his friend Mary who both helped in the shinsa room; Bill Green, who promoted the show; the hotel staff, who went way above and beyond to answer my mostly bizarre requests (Um, can you send down a large bag of rubber bands and some zip lock plastic bags?); and to Bobby B., John T., Steve, Brian T., George G., Mark J. Grey D., Matt, and a few others who best go unnamed, for the laughs, thought provoking comments, and positive energy. Thank you all....

• Like 9

Very very special post! It reminds me how critically important our relationships are. When recalling a past job or school experience, it's always the people that we miss. Thanks Chris for this post!

- Grant

• Like 1

Huge Congratulations to all who attended and submitted swords and kodogu for shinsa. I have heard nothing but good things about the show and shinsa.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend this event but hopefully soon.

Well done Chris and Bill and all who helped out.

Be safe and good hunting for nihonto,

Larry

• Like 2

Thank you Chris, as always you and the NTHK-NPO Shinsa team performed an extraordinary service to the many who came for the purpose of gaining knowledge and certificates on their prized possessions.  I know,  not all items received a passing grade, but even the ones which did not pass, explanations and/or information was given on them as well 

Edward G :clap:  :)  :clap:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..