"ho-No-To Kenma Project"

They are being given to people who paid a certain amount towards crowd-funding this project.

It was 5,000 JPY for an oshigata of the long Kunishige, 10,000 if you wanted your name recorded in the book at Takaoka Jinja, and 20,000 if you wanted the oshigata on a proper background scroll.

The Togishi made the decision to leave the hakobore in the greater interest of keeping the original shape of the blade.

In the old days such oshigata used to be two sheets stuck together I was told, to get the length but these are one long diaphanous sheet. You can see an example in one of the photos of yesterday, although for some reason the one they hung up at the shrine does not bear the Mei.

• Like 2

The coverage of this event went out on NHK on Sunday evening but I was too tired to watch it. This evening it will also be aired on RNC, (Nishi Nihon Television?), from around 7:00 pm.

Took loads of photos myself, including the generous throwing of the red and white mochi to the crowd at the end, but sadly I could not get any good shots of the polished long blade.

• 8 months later...

This Ho-no-To project is gradually moving forward under the enthusiastic energy of a few local NBTHK people.

Today we went to Ani Jinja near Hoden where a newly-polished wakizashi was brought back for a ceremony of dedication and display. RNC TV was there again to film the event.

Originally made and dated Meiji 8 by (Gen 2) Sukekane of Bizen this blade bears the inscription 安仁神釼. It may have been offered there by someone local, not necessarily the smith himself. The Okayama Prefectural Museum has several blades in storage which need polishing and this one was the one most recently chosen.

Again a deal was struck where the shrine people, knowing that they cannot look after a blade that really should be enjoyed by the people of Japan, agree to allow it to be stored and occasionally put on display at the Prefectural Museum. It will be part of the display from September this year. Absolute ownership still resides with the shrine, however, so they can ask for it back any time, and a record of the blade (shigata, photographs) and the people who contributed to its polishing are kept at the shrine. 

This ceremony was much simpler than the one I reported on previously in this thread, and the Guji/Kan-nushi was brilliant with his drumming, chanting, cut-paper whisk waving and Suzu bell ringing. I took a slew of photos and a couple of short video clips. It was observed by supporters of the shrine, some Bizen smiths and some of the artisans involved in the restoration of the blade, including Mr Yasui, the polisher.

*The next shrine I have been invited to visit will be Kibitsu Hiko Jinja, for the dedication, purification and display of the 4th blade, a Kozuke Daijo Sukesada on Friday June 30.

Watching the interaction of the artisans and the Shinto priests I was struck by how a blade is a creation that needs to be kept somehow pristine, perhaps to prevent bad fortune or malignant forces from becoming attached to it.

• Like 1

Ken, many thanks.

They were explicit that they cannot take donations from abroad. (Perhaps it is related to why PayPal in Japan for example cannot accept foreign currency payments?)

The basic level of support was 3,000 JPY for your name in the book. For a 5,000+ JPY donation people will at some point get the oshigata, apparently.

Piers, I make Paypal payments to "some" Japanese dealers etc. Others simply do not make the effort, to lazy or unsure of how to do it etc, they insist on wire transfers which have a high cost on my end and I need to either have the money in the bank or I have to deposit it. I often use Paypal through a credit card and then pay the credit card off, this give me some time to come up with the money. Japan is a very hard country to do business with, I have less problems with poor, Eastern European countries.

Originally made and dated Meiji 8 by (Gen 2) Sukekane of Bizen this blade bears the inscription 安仁神釼. It may have been offered there by someone local, not necessarily the smith himself. The Okayama Prefectural Museum has several blades in storage which need polishing and this one was the one most recently chosen.

"dated Meiji 8"=1875???

3eed82f3e2740d5f48ba61581f21cb85.jpg

• Like 1

True Piers but with such a kissaki?

Jean et al, I have seen such a sugata and kissaki on a Meiji period tanto in a cloisonne koshirae.  I have searched for the picture I have of it, but I fear the HDD I stored it on is dead...  The shape is indeed unusual and the tanto I saw many years ago is the only one I have ever seen until the pictures above.

BaZZa.

Matt, my sword teacher said that you often find kogarasumaru swords dedicated to shrines, or worn inside Ebudachi mounts etc., ie court swords.

4th blade, Kozuke Daijo Sukesada shrine rededication following recent polishing. On Friday the local NBTHK members will be visiting Kibitsu Hiko Jinja, hard by but not to be confused with the more famous Kibitsu Jinja. Again the blade in question will be taken from the shrine for 'permanent' safe-keeping at the Prefectural Museum. (If possible I will try and sneak some shots and post them here, but I still cannot figure out how to turn off the loud shutter 'click' with each shot.)

As promised I took quite a few photographs of this blade today during the service in the inner sanctum. The building is wonderful inside, all wooden pillars with massive brass fittings, with a strong aroma of Sugi. The floor was unusually flagstoned, so we were allowed to keep our shoes on.

Total length 152.3 cm, blade length 120.3 cm., originally dedicated here by the Osafune smith Sukesada in Kanbun 6, 1666, the year of the great fire of London. This is two years after he took the title Kozuke Daijo at the Lord of Okayama's request, so the blade was also probably offered in light of that title. The nakago also carries the place of dedication. This shrine is right on the western edge of Bizen; the next shrine, Kibitsu Jinja, just round the same Nakayama mountain from here is on the eastern edge of Bitchu. There is a little stream and a small bridge marking the delineation between Bizen and Bitchu.

The priest came up to me and requested I stop photographing during the prayers. That damn click of the shutter again! Later we were all asked not to post any photographs on the internet without prior clearance from the shrine priests. All I can post now are shots of the outside of the shrine, which also is wonderful, but permission for certain indoors shots may filter down in due course.

The Togishi Mr K from Kurashiki was telling me that his friend is a Michael Hicks from the UK, possibly Scotland as he mentioned a kilt.

Feeling thrice blessed, with Ohnusa cut paper wand, suzu and Kinpei.

Rainy season. Heavy thunderstorms last night.

post-416-0-32177300-1498799110_thumb.jpg

post-416-0-03306200-1498799259_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Correction. The Ani Jinja short Kogarasamaru blade was their fourth fruition. This long one at Kibitsu Hiko Jinja is the fifth.

Last night someone showed me another kogarasumaru blade by the same Sukekane II smith, dated Meiji 12. It was for a 'Hosodachi' court sword  koshirae, not to be confused with an 'Ebudachi', similar but different.

PPS I learned some new words yesterday, one of which was for the hamon on this blade. 'Shin Shin MIdare', (often found on shrine blades, but possibly not listed in the literature). It starts with choji, changes to notare, and ends at the top in suguha. Anyone who wishes to guess at the Kanji, and if you know them, the reasons, go for it! ;-)

Haha Bazza, with pleasure! :thumbsup:

This type of Hamon sometimes used for shrines is referred to as 神心乱れ Shinshin Midare, said to show a gradual quelling or pacification of the troubled heart in the presence of the gods...(?). (Actually my understanding of the explanation they offered me!) Unless the offering is made to quell the anger of the gods and bring peace to the land? Hmmm...

Comparative photos of Ebudachi (upper) and Hosodachi (lower) koshirae:

post-416-0-83492500-1499152503_thumb.jpg

post-416-0-96697600-1499152618_thumb.jpg

I find it sometimes difficult to distinguish between hosodachi and efu no tachi (except when silver fittings are used on hosodachi [for lower court ranks]), and therefore like to lump them together as gijō no tachi. ;-) However, in the pics I would rather call the upper one hosodachi (more elaborate fittings, especially the obitori), and the lower one efu no tachi (less elaborate, more fitting for an efu [palace guard]). What reason were you given for the classification?

• Like 1

The upper one, the hosodachi, has a wide silver-lacquered strip along the mune and ha portions of the saya.  Is this a lacquer imitation of a metal naga fukurin, the feature seen all too rarely on koshirae???

BaZZa.

On Sunday a group of us will be travelling to Yamaguchi to see a newly-housed collection of Bakumatsu weaponry in Hagi. I will make sure to corner the swordy types and pop some of your questions. All grist to the mill.

Bazza, I wonder if it is a repair to a chipped/cracked edge on the saya extended all around, or an original feature. It does look to have a strengthening role.

As promised I took quite a few photographs of this blade today during the service in the inner sanctum................................................Total length 152.3 cm, blade length 120.3 cm., originally dedicated here by the Osafune smith Sukesada in Kanbun 6, 1666, the year of the great fire of London. ................. Later we were all asked not to post any photographs on the internet without prior clearance from the shrine priests. All I can post now are shots of the outside of the shrine, which also is wonderful, but permission for certain indoors shots may filter down in due course.

Why are the Japanese so opposed to photographs, hopefully you will be able to post some eventually.

Guido, the slim one is the Hosodachi, as described, apparently. Not only is it less wide, but there is no thickness to it at all.

They were worn for special court visits even by non-Samurai, so often there is only a Tsunagi or Takemitsu inside. Only someone from a Samurai family would insist on having a real blade to go inside their Hosodachi koshirae.

I have taken a shot of the Mei inside the Tsuba. It records the occasion for which it was made.

post-416-0-48298000-1499519589_thumb.jpg

post-416-0-71739600-1499519609_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..