More Ems Restrictions

Had a client try to get a sword from Japan to Canada. I can't find the relevant thread and have crap internet. 

Wanted to report though that he was given only an option to put it on a boat. Not sure if it was previously reported that the restrictions have eliminated Canada now. I know it's been "if there are no direct flights on Japanese carriers" but I thought that ANA or JAL flew to Vancouver or Toronto. 

It's a new regulation which is causing tons of trouble. One workaround is to send it as "antique/art work", this is how i recently got my tanto from there.

Huge pain in the butt, i actually forward swords to the U.S and then here because some sellers won't go the extra mile to alter the declaration a bit, though it's still 100% accurate and legal.

What regulation?

What are we to infer from the opening post?

Did the client, or the guy intending to ship it back to him, know what he was doing? 

Can't ship swords from Japan to Canada now, either by Fedex or EMS?

Antique sword or newer sword? Can you still ship a sword from Japan to the U.S. using EMS or Fedex? 

Is this business no longer sustainable then? Shipping swords out of Japan for resale. Should we forget having to send swords back to Japan for polish or shinsa, fearing having to jump through hoops to get them shipped back? Or having to wait a relative eternity while they are shipped back by a cargo ship, only to arrive many weeks later somewhat rusty from exposure to salt air.

Pietro

Dear Pietro

There has been a lot of movement and changes in shipping regulation over the past 12 to 18 months. Much of this has been unclear, even to the employees of the shipping companies involved and they differ country to country.

I have listed below what I think to be the current situation regarding shjipping swords from Jaoan via EMS and shipping from Europe (especifically the UK) others may have a more up to date understanding.

1. Some months ago EMS said they would only ship swords by air to countries where there were direct, non-stop flights from Japan. For countries that had no direct link the only alternative was surface mail. I thought after a lot of pressure from dealers in  Japan this had been recinded but perhaps not.

2. FeDex in the UK have a total ban on not only swords but anything that has a sharp edge (including tools garden equipment etc) I have written about this in another thread so wont elaborate on the legal stupidity behind thie policy.

3. Parcelforce have apparently subcontracted their Express international shipping to FeDex and are therefore subject to the same restrictions. At the moment you can still ship using their global services. The problem with them is the lack of insurance availability.

I am sure other European based shipping bodies have equally problems.

There is no doubt that shippng swords has become much more difficult than it was. This appears to have more to do with Incompetent legal advisors (in the case of FeDex) rahter than terrorist threats or other causes.

Unfortunately in overall business terms shipping swords will have little impact on shipping company's business. It is easier to say no than to think. However we need to keep trying.

Regards

Paul

Really is getting to me all this, the last time I tried to post a sword abroad it was a polava in the post office!

I was greeted by two ladies behind the window, the first of which started with "nah, ya cant post that, its ta big" :steamed:

I checked online, it was not "ta big". She started to measure with a tape measure, she clearly was not used to a tape measure, which was annoying.

The other asked "whats the value?", I said just insure it for the maximum, she said "oh, what is it?", I said an antique sword (being honest).

She said "don't think we can send that", I then gave her a copy of their prohibited goods list and explained it was ok.

You really do need to be geared up and ready for these episodes lol

Felt like I was in there an eternity, the folk behind looked tired of waiting.

So glad this is not a regular thing. :phew:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..