Gassan Koshirae

Hi,

The section referencing the 695,000 JPY mentions a bank loan fee among other payment methods and is not the asking price.  You need to contact the dealer directly to request the price in this case - if you look at the section referencing the actual price, it says to please consult them (by email or phone).

Very interesting piece and thanks for posting it!

yes, but the other pieces claim the same interest rate at the price they have listed so i assume that should be the asking price.

Interesting, I see what you are saying.  It is strange they would request that someone contacts them for pricing, but then indirectly lists the price in the loan detail section referenced against the percentage. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I think I saw this one here before...

Anyway. It says nagasa 34cm - I mean, we all know that nagasa is measured straight, but is this really alright here? ;-)

I just took two rulers and simulated nagasa and sori near my hip. You can wear this blade very close to your body and basically draw it following your beltline. But stabbing with it probably is difficult. And sheathing it too...

Does it say anything about the history behind it besides being 183 years old? Who it was made for and so on? I can't really imagine a samurai wearing it, I see it more as a presentation/gift piece or shrine offering...

Update: I just confirmed directly with the dealer on the price and it is definitely not 695,000 JPY. I don't feel comfortable listing the quoted price, but think of a number that is a multiple of 695,000 JPY...and then add some additional Yen to that.

I wonder why the 695,000 JPY price was listed in the bank rate section? Clearly other items have their price referenced in that section too as pointed out by others. Interesting there is a discrepancy...

• Like 1

Ugly

Personally I like a fairly deep sori in a sword, but am I alone in finding this fairly extreme example quite ugly? Interesting yes, but ugly.

I agree that it is "interesting".  This example is one of the things that I always find to be fascinating about nihonto in general regardless of whether it is considered a tasteful design or not (different strokes for different folks). I like to look at objects like this conceptually to understand why it was made this way and for what purpose.  And that concept tends to extend to many forms of art and science as well. 

As one well-known nihonto dealer said to me a few years ago when I asked a similar question about a style both of us have never seen before he replied to me "I have learned one thing in my 35+ years with Japanese swords, that is there is always something new to be seen.  We never see it all." 

My girlfriend has mentioned that she has seen this sword "type" in Manga.

I am not familiar with Japanese manga or anime in any great detail, but several years ago there was an Evangelion series Japanese sword exhibit that saw traditional craftsmen forging swords and other items that matched the fantasy pieces from the series.  The resulting exhibit catalogue is quite interesting and surprising given the typical traditionalist view of swords as opposed to the fantasy pieces out there.

In any case, this Gassan sword (made in 1843) predates manga, so perhaps someone took some inspiration from examples similar to this sword along the way in history.

• Like 2

Ugly is a subjective opinion which has nothing to do with the concept "new" or "old". I saw the Evangelion exhbition/display à la "maison du Japon" in Paris. The blades displaid were aesthetically fantastic. This blade has nothing to do with the lethal elegance of the Japanese swords. It's a fantasy. Statistically, how many were forged compared to the bulk of Japanese swords? How was it used? A drag to sheath and unsheath.

• Like 3

The Evangelion pieces may be forged with great care by the top smiths in Japan now and be aesthetically pleasing (to some, but surely not all); however, the base subject design of a majority of the pieces are overtly science fiction and pure fantasy.  I would find it hard to believe that someone would seriously wield many of those weapons due to their size and configuration (refer to the giant spear for instance).  Furthermore, it is quite easy to extrapolate that this exhibit was done in order to increase awareness of both modern and historical nihonto culture to the masses.  I have read numerous articles over the years about how the younger population had not been taking interest in nihonto, the collector and enthusiast base has been growing “older” – on this very board the same has been postulated for quite some time as well .  What better way to attract attention to this situation then to draw in a younger crowd with the fantasy-inspired pieces they have come to love in the anime universe?  It is a great marketing tool and it provides an opportunity to showcase actual historically based nihonto as well.  After all, the exhibit did mention they showcased antique nihonto as well and not just the Evangelion pieces.  I’ve read on The Japanese Sword Facebook page that similar exhibits have had recent success drawing in a new, younger, female-based interest in nihonto as well.  I think that is highly encouraging and wonderful news.

I think this Gassan sword is very intriguing.  Obviously manga and anime didn’t exist in 1843, so I am sure this particular Gassan sword was forged in this manner for a specific reason.  The blade was forged by a smith of some significance back in the day and he is equally considered of some importance in our modern times as well.  It was probably not meant to be a weapon used on a daily basis based on its configuration.  It appears to be an homage to a crescent moon.  Perhaps a special order, a dedication of some sort?  Maybe someone simply dared Sadakichi-san to forge a highly curved, strangely looking sword to test his skill? :)

I don’t know the answers, but my personal viewpoint from the beginning is that it is fascinating (to me at least) to understand the historical context of this piece – and any piece – that deviates from the norm to understand what might have been going through the smith’s mind when they forged this.  So whether we think it is good, bad, ugly, unique, or interesting, the fact we are all talking about it so much 173 years later is a further testament to the sword.

Awareness, education, interest…and some good conversation.

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..