Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

I thought i bought a Type 98 Koshirae.

But it is a nice Type 94 Koshirae  with removable Ashi.

typ94_koshirae.thumb.jpg.37bf01ebee4ba6f72fcc53f43424c98c.jpg

Unfortunatly none of my Gendai Swords without Koshirae fits. Its for a more slender and shorter sword. I think for a ~62 cm blade.

Forget the blade!  I need the translation for the Kakihan!!! Ha!  Just kidding (ok, maybe not!).  Classic Neil-style drop dead gorgeous!  Someone spent a pretty penny fitting this one out.

I got the date down: Manji 3, so 1660, Nov 10th.  Will need help with the rest though!

The Beatles song number nine number 9 number 9 number 9 kept going through my head it's really a 10 to me.

The hard lacquered saya any chips in it?

I would not be suprised if its coverage of same*. You should be able to tell where the lacquer ends on saya under fuchi.

You sure know how to find them brother.

Well done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Forget the blade!  I need the translation for the Kakihan!!! Ha!  Just kidding (ok, maybe not!).  Classic Neil-style drop dead gorgeous!  Someone spent a pretty penny fitting this one out.

I got the date down: Manji 3, so 1660, Nov 10th.  Will need help with the rest though!

万治三年十一月十日

三ツ胴截断

山野勘十郎成久(花押)

The on in the middle has same Mei

Cuttingtest-engl-3.jpg

7 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That’s honestly very kind of you Trystan, but I can’t read your Japanese print any better than I can read Japanese in the Nakago!

This sword passed 3 bodies through cutting test.

Yamano Kanjūrō Narihisa  performed  the cutting test.

WechatIMG1173.jpeg

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bryce said:

G'day Neil,

Now that is a high class gunto! Who made the blade?

Cheers,

Bryce

I thought it was made Yamano Kanjūrō Narihisa 山野勘十郎成久. John corrected me, 山野勘十郎 is not a sword smith but a professional cutting tester and executioner.

27 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

That is the name of the Samurai who performed the cutting test.

John

Thanks for correcting. 山野勘十郎 is professional cutting tester and executioner.

「江戶初期,有名的試刀家是谷衛好、谷衛友父子。衛友的弟子中川重良兼任幕府的旗本(家臣),他的弟子山野加右衛門永久被認為是最早的專職試刀家,據說他試斬了6000多名罪人。永久之子,山野勘十郎久英,不但擔任幕府御用試斬官,也負責處決死刑犯。也就是說,先砍了頭,再把屍體搬來試斬,他一個人包了。但久英的後人沒有能夠掌握這項技術,之後山野家被解除了職務」。

• Like 2

Another old blade, this one in KAI GUNTO Navy mounts, at 52 cm some would call this (wrongly) a submarine crew sword, due to its shorter length. The large ray skin "eyes" on the SAYA are quite unique. 

I think it is made by KANETSUNA in the 1500's, but I am open to more knowledgeable translators.   

a5.jpg

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

• Like 5

A difficult mei.  The best we could do was  late Mino (Sue-Seki) Kanetsuna in Fujishiro (1991) Nihon Koto Jiten page 85 with trans by HA watson .   

And also that strange mysterious book Mino-to (1993) by Malcolm Cox  page 213 end of Koto. 

kanetsuna   .jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...