Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

George,

The MRS gunto has an SMR Mantetsu blade, so by "gendai" it's a era, not nihonto, as we commonly use the terms.  This style Rinji seems to have been made at the Mantetsu factory, for only Mantetsu blades are found in them.

Chris,

I've been prowling a couple of Russian forums hoping to find more of these.  Since Russian troops are the Allied force that overran Manchuria, it was proposed that maybe they might have a significant amount of them.  But so far, none have shown up on the 2 forums.  I even posted pictures of it hoping to generate some posts from guys that might have one.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, Alex A said:

Hello, does the hamon run off the blade ?

gets very close but as it is so old it can be forgiven, sure it has seen so many battles through the ages,I did find a  surrendering officer from the area were it was supposably captured with the same name as the family mon on it, who was for a japapanese person quite tall ,the sword must have belonged to someone of large stature so I assume that it must have belonged to Lieutenant General Hidemitsu Nakano who's father had been a samurai retainerN83-3.thumb.jpg.a62d118b71e84cff1a23ef0de94a86d0.jpgN83-4.thumb.jpg.fe2ac9d8b1a64d6c6de82ce148a12a3a.jpgN83-9.thumb.jpg.31ae27bb5a09ba1b625c243dbb92cca7.jpgN83-2.thumb.jpg.a17cd759b14d407f74c3fd4d7ccd4d87.jpg

N83-5.jpg

N83-6.jpg

N83-7.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Alex A said:

Not as close as it looked in the first pic.

Love old blades in ww2 mounts

Very nice to own Mark

Cheers

the blade is amazing and almost flawless the steel is a beauty to behold just wish my photography skills could do it justice

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I gave that Gunto to my brother as a gift. He collects everything from The French and Indian war thru WW2. That was his first Gunto. He then ups me up by giving me a Harpers Ferry model 1855 percussion musket and a Rare Hitler Youth knife along with some French and Indian war stuff. He now is hooked on Nihonto ☺️

• Like 2

You have a point Brian. Believe it or not it did fit very well. I did mention to my brother when I gave it to him recommended  getting a Shirasaya to store the sword and a wooden one to display fittings. Glad I took pics before I gave it to him. I wish I saved the pics from others I had in the past on my old phones before we could easily transfer pics etc…

• 3 weeks later...

Annnnnd another black-painted tsuba!  Convinced these were done by the original owners during the war, maybe even by the outfitting shops.

Matt, those are normally seen as Roman numerals, so "46" or "64".  Trystan was right in seeking numbers on the other fittings, as that is often the case.  Yours might have been re-fitted after the marks were put there.  It is also possible they are put there by the smith for his own purposes and the fittings shops simply piggy-backed on the number already present and used it on their fittings.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...