Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

On 7/19/2021 at 9:16 PM, David Flynn said:

The only record of  this being an early signature of Okimasa  is that of Chris Bowen stating such.   There is no other record, unless Chris has some direct reference material.

Interesting.

So, David on what do you base your assumption that this alleged early mei is a fallacy?  Do you have any record or proof that would disprove this mei, proving that it was not an early mei of Okimasa? 

If you have no proof to the contrary, then aren't your comments, statements or accusations exactly what you are accusing Chris of?  Making statements without proof?   

I have no dog in the fight, but would be interested in learning more if you can provide some concrete proof of your accusation that this is not an early mei of Okimasa.

Ed

KANENORI, MIYAMOTO

AKA: SUGUWARA KANENORI

TEISHITSU GIGEI IN (Imperial Household Artisan)

MEI: TEISHITSU GIGEIIN SUGUWARA KANENORI HACHI JU YON Ō SAKU

DATE: TAISHO GAN NEN HACHI GATSU KICHI JITSU

NAGASA: 75.565 cm (29.75″)

OVERALL: 95.567 cm (37.625″)

For more photos and information: https://yakiba.com/kanenori-miyamoto/

Kanenori_BoshiO.jpg

Kanenori_ACT_1.jpg

Kanenori_ACT_5.jpg

KANENORI_CUU2.jpg

Kanenori_Suguwara_CUU2.jpg

Kanenori_Suguwara_CUU3.jpg

Kanenori_Suguwara_CUU1.jpg

• Like 3

Ed, the only reference to these early Mei, comes from Chris Bowen.     I have received info from Chris saying that, his info on this comes from Token Shibata May, Showa 53 edition of Token Shibata's monthly catalog, "REI", There is an article from Okimasa's  Polisher talking about his early signatures.   There aren't any other documents concerning this.  Token Shibata's catalogue is basically just a sales catalogue , including some relevant info on smiths.   Chris, also commented that this claim was confirmed with Okimasa's nephew.     To me ( also by definition) ,  this is hearsay.   The are absolutely no other references available to confirm these claims.  This reference in  Token Shibata  being the only one,  now may not be contested.    However,  one must consider, why there has never been another reference?

• Thanks 1

Thank you ronnie for the picture of the book cover.  I was able to locate the required information over at the National Diet Library.  It is a a small book of only 71 pages that was published in 2010.  The characters 継承 can be translated as succession, accession, or inheritance.

Jingū chōkokan nōgyō-kan 神宮徴古館農業館 [Jingū History & Agricultural Museums]. Gendaigatana no hyaku-nen: Fukkō to keishō 現代刀の100年: 復興と継承 [One Hundred Years of Modern Swords: Revival and Succession]. Ise 伊勢: Jingū chōkokan nōgyō-kan 神宮徴古館農業館, 2010.

Edited by Kiipu
  • Like 1

Kato Kanefusa, real name Kato Koichi, also known as 23rd generation Kanefusa as well as Fujiwara Kanefusa. He was trained by Kato Yosinosuke Jumyo.  Kanefusa was rated as a 1 million yen smith. He made medium to high grade Showato and medium to high grade Gendaito as in this example. He won 1st seat at the 1941 exhibition. Kanefusa is listed in the Toko Taikan (TK-126), Hawleys (KAN-799, 747, 801), Nihonto Meikan (NMK-179), and Sesko’s, Sword Smiths of Japan pg 200 (see below).  His work can be seen in Slough’s, Modern Japanese Sword Smiths pg 39

Additional photos: https://yakiba.com/kanefusa-23rd-generation/

Kanefusa_CUU2.jpg

Kanefusa_Act_3.jpg

Kanefusa_Act_4.jpg

Kanefusa_Act_5.jpg

Kanefusa_BoshiO.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment locked down in Sydney, raining, so a good day to check out the sword cupboard, and to re-acquaint yourself with old (sword) friends  . I pulled out a Spring 1939, KOA ISSHIN MANTETSU SAKU KORE. If you check out the HAMON, it is not your usual straight SUGUHA, but exhibits a "wavy" nature. You don't see that very often. 

Bruce has the MUNE stamp numbers. 

Being 1939, it is in early mounts, pierced tsuba, center latch etc, but is in an uncommon green painted saya, with fittings that are painted red that shows off nicely the gold highlights.  

Obviously this outfit shows the patina of war use, but that adds to its original intent as a weapon to be carried. So not bad for an 82 year old sword.  

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

14 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

If you check out the HAMON, it is not your usual straight SUGUHA, but exhibits a "wavy" nature. You don't see that very often.

a2.jpg

Neil

I also had one 1944 Mantetsu with Wavy hamon. Ohmura said:例外的に乱刃が存在する。恐らく特注品であろう。It sould be special order.

微信图片_20180907143253.jpg

微信图片_20180907143244.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Steven Edmund said:

True ...but you seen the message ...and if you have one to sell or know someone I want to buy that one too.

I already own Hakudos personal sword and another second gen....but ....the more the merrier.

Please share your Yoshichika, especially Hakudo's sword!

• 2 weeks later...

Have I posted this one before? No idea, but with Australia's lockdown laws, I am looking for something to do. I picked this up ages ago from a collector that didn't like the polish, his loss is my gain I guess, I LOVE it! 

A Hokke Saburo NOBUFUSA, no date, in my view a very good smith. It also helps being in mint mounts as well. 

I acknowledge the page from Slough's wonderful book.   

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

• Like 10