Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

ummmm no.  

my idea when starting this thread, was so that new collecters can learn from and aspire to own and preserve the better then average gunto. sadly due to the market levels the "averge" gunto  now being lookied apon as being special or rare,  which i disagree with.  sorry that migh sound like me on a soup box.

If the idea of low class gunto section was to be born it most likey will be filled with crap you can already see on "fleabay" or heavan forbid the obvious fakes that some members cling to in hope that they are genuine, being put in.  thus distorting the line between of what genuine and wahts fact for the new collector.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, lonely panet said:

ummmm no.  

my idea when starting this thread, was so that new collecters can learn from and aspire to own and preserve the better then average gunto. sadly due to the market levels the "averge" gunto  now being lookied apon as being special or rare,  which i disagree with.  sorry that migh sound like me on a soup box.

If the idea of low class gunto section was to be born it most likey will be filled with crap you can already see on "fleabay" or heavan forbid the obvious fakes that some members cling to in hope that they are genuine, being put in.  thus distorting the line between of what genuine and wahts fact for the new collector.

I understand. My attempt at humor. And I do appreciate your explanation of the rationale for this thread. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'd like to show off my gunto, it's signed 武州住  外記  利長 and was made in 1661ish. I think it's special because the Tsuba is non uniform but has been made to fit a locking mechanism. There is more ware on the hanger than I have seen on any other gunto which tells me it must have been worn a lot probably in an office setting since the saya is in almost perfect condition. 

DSC_4015.JPG

DSC_3997.JPG

• Like 2

Mathew.

I have a similar gunto rig that also has a nori naga blade in it. I have been trying to determine what generation mine may be. May I ask if you could post a picture of the whole nakago for my reference?

thanks in advance.

Chris

Ignore that, I misread toshi naga for nori naga.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:25 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

Kai Gunto, Bizen Kozori school Tachi. Owned by a IJN special landing forces Colonel with full provenance on Japanese & Australian sides. Note the saltwater crocodile leather cover, made in the field on Balikpapan.

20210606_155619_HDR.thumb.jpg.bcf9ab3539c0aa76ed358441d0bf8e48.jpg20210606_155557_HDR.thumb.jpg.7851b7c5a528ca3e060a88238b2b92fa.jpg

20210606_155636_HDR.thumb.jpg.af7c833bc03c9e0acefff831efefa6da.jpg20210606_155650_HDR.thumb.jpg.c4dbac42bffc2079a5dd8062636159b6.jpg

20210606_155720_HDR.thumb.jpg.46c2aea86bc12c5e48317271e9ac11f7.jpg20210606_160138_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e3d23290081288fab04c6dd7f9f7286.jpg

20210606_160015_HDR.thumb.jpg.405b4c0bd816e6aaf8b2cf4cfb769dc5.jpg

Very nice and unusual example John.

• Like 1

NAKATA KANEHIDE

A beautiful Gendaito by Gifu’s Intangible Cultural Property, Nakata Kanehide.  Kanehide made “High to Superior Grade Gendaito” and is/was rated at 2 Million Yen. He was known to make big beefy blades as seen in this example. Note the mihaba is 1.25”.  

Kanehide is referenced in the Toko Taikan (TK-122), Hawley’s (KAN-850), Slough’s Modern Japanese Swordsmiths pages 41-42, and Sesko’s Swordsmiths A-Z pg. 204.

Kanehide and a few others I am told had these three proof stamps, known as Star-Na-Na (wasn't there a 50's band by that name...oh that was  Sha na na). This includedd the star stamp and two "na" stamps. Na being the Nagoya Arsenal (Thanks Bruce).

Kanehide was an excellent smith, perhaps the best of all WWII Seki smiths.

You can view additional photos here: https://yakiba.com/kanehide-nakata/

Kanehide_FVO.jpg

Kanehide_Mei.jpg

Kanehide_Date.jpg

Kanehide_StarStamp.jpg

733356953_Kanehide_NakagoSmall22na22Stamp.thumb.jpg.dbacf0f1fcae6ba2f7005711f340e160.jpg

Kanehide_Act_12.jpg

Kanehide_Act_5.jpg

Kanehide_Act_14.jpg

Kanehide_Act_1.jpg

Kanehide_MUNE %22na%22 STAMP copy.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ed said:

Kanehide did something that I am not aware of on any other gendaito, which is to proof mark his blades three times in three separate places. He used not only the “Star” stamp, but also a very small Seki proof stamp on the nakago and on the mune. See photos of all three.

Truly gorgeous blade Ed!

The stamp is the "Na" of the Nagoya Army Arsenal Inspector.  The double inspector stamps are not common, I have only 8 blades from 6 smiths marked this way.  Kanehide and Kanehisa, both from Gifu, have the double "Na" stamp in my files.  I'll expand on this discussion on the Arsenal Mark on RJT Sword Thread.

Just saw this post of Ed's...probably already well known but thought I'd mention that RJT star Kanehide tangs are seen with both 2 x NA stamps and 2 x SEKI stamps.

I have a star stamp blade by him which has the 2 x seki stamps in the same places (except my date one is between WA and no. Ten...my date is 19/5. and my 'blue paint mark" is A 14.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 5:32 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

Hi David, you are right, he would be a commander in the IJN, however all reference material (and the Australian officers account) lists him as Colonel.

I found information stating that the IJN rank of "Captain" was equivalent to an army colonel. At any rate, the Kai Gunto recently posted here is a beautiful piece!

16 hours ago, David Flynn said:

Naval Ranks,   Lieutenant = Captain,    Lieutenant Commander =  Major,   Commander=  Lieutenant Colonel,   Captain= Colonel,   Comodore= Brigadier  etc.

Thanks David - good information!

Very nice, I like it a lot ! Thanks for sharing.

It's funny, when I saw the signature, some kanji immediately jumped out and Tsukamoto Okimasa sprung to mind: I had never heard about "Tsukamoto Kazuyuki" before and learning now that this is another name Okimasa used.

This is the mei from my Tsukamoto Okimasa (which isn't papered but I believe it's genuine).

image.thumb.png.113fec2a57595b26561a853bd76e02f0.png

Edit: Found this old NMB thread on the sword