Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may not be the highest class Shin-gunto. However, I suspect it would be a welcome addition to a most collectors looking for a fairly nice looking gunto in good condition.

Also, as Stegel mentioned above, simply trying to keep the thread active!20191201_152241.thumb.jpg.83069a55962b841b39e02cdedcd9fcec.jpg827517130_20191201_152554_007(2).thumb.jpg.d808d6d99bc2109cd808f6d7531f8a63.jpg1710311660_20200820_085230(6).thumb.jpg.0d2383e7adeffc569885f96215072a30.jpg

Regards,

Dave M.

• Like 1

Time for me to show my gendai Ishido Teruhide mei with kao. Not sure if it would be considered 'high-end' but I absolutely enjoy it! Photographs are realy hard to take of blades, I hope the sword and the pictures speak for itself:)

The sword has a fully hardened kissaki(ichimai) if I am correct, hard to tell from pictures.

Terhuhide (3).jpg

IMG_20201028_221928.jpg

IMG_20201025_135321.jpg

IMG_20201025_135225.jpg

IMG_20201025_135146.jpg

IMG_20201025_102306.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, m4l700 said:

Time for me to show my gendai Ishido Teruhide mei with kao. Not sure if it would be considered 'high-end' but I absolutely enjoy it! Photographs are realy hard to take of blades, I hope the sword and the pictures speak for itself:)

The sword has a fully hardened kissaki(ichimai) if I am correct, hard to tell from pictures.

IMG_20201028_221928.jpg

David

Nice sword!The flag is upside down.

13 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

David

Nice sword!The flag is upside down.

Thanks for letting me know! I cant read kanji so unfortunately I have no clue what is up or down😅

15 hours ago, Bruno said:

Nice gendaito!

Ishido Teruhide was a good and quite prolific smith. Too bad he rarely put a nengo on his nakago. 

Do you who did the polish?

Thanks! The polish is done on order be me by a western (dutch)polisher. Yes I know what most people think of that, but with his 40 year experience, polished blades by him that got papers and the Japanese that are actually interested in his polishing I took the chance.

The blade was a wreck before and now I'm quite happy how it turned out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m4l700 said:

Thanks for letting me know! I cant read kanji so unfortunately I have no clue what is up or down😅

Thanks! The polish is done on order be me by a western (dutch)polisher. Yes I know what most people think of that, but with his 40 year experience, polished blades by him that got papers and the Japanese that are actually interested in his polishing I took the chance.

The blade was a wreck before and now I'm quite happy how it turned out.

Hi David,

I am no expert in polishes so won't bother you with your choice! 😜 

May I ask you to post several close up photos of the nakago itself? I would like to see how good Teruhide  used to finish them (crisp lines and geometry, yasurime). Thanks

On 11/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, m4l700 said:

It turned out wonderfull David!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 3:35 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Quite beautiful, Alexander.  Clearly custom fittings.  Do you know the significance of the hot stamp at the end of the nakago?  Do you know who the smith might have been?

Hello Bruce,   Thanks for your appreciation, but(fittings) its not as clear as it looks...

I do not know about the hot stamp. It maybe smith personal stamp or work shop mark.

As who the smith may be its a mystery. My friend from SF (LK) thinks its a Masatsune,  he has one with a very similar hataraki.

Pity a blade like this not signed 

• Thanks 1