Show Us Your High Class Gunto

lonely panet

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. Unusual ito on the tsuka ? Has anyone seen one like this before ? Civillian tsuba and a fully wooden saya lacquered in a rough brown colour with the remains of a navy tassel. This ensemble housed a koto blade norinaga that I am still waiting to arrive ! Chris D.

post-3518-0-71965800-1484559375_thumb.jpgpost-3518-0-59857400-1484559403_thumb.jpgpost-3518-0-79506100-1484559427_thumb.jpgpost-3518-0-30232900-1484559647_thumb.jpg

Chris,

Unusual arrangment, but not unheard-of. Can you give us details and pics of the blade? By the looks of the Kabu, sarute, and seppa, it looks to be a high-quality set-up. I'm betting the blade is old and/or family because of the tsuba.

Unless someone has seen this ito type before, I'd say it is something done after the war. Do you have any history on the gunto?

OK, this one probably doesn't fit the HIGH CLASS category, but it is one of my prized specimens. It is an original leather combat covered '98 GUNTO. The leather is in poor condition, the tassel is frayed, the leather TZUKA cover marked, the surrender tag on its last legs and the blade is an ordinary SHOWA TO. BUT, the leather has never been removed to expose what is below, the TZUKA has never been removed as the blade is NO treasure..... So why? I just wanted to own (and respect) a sword that was used in war, brought back by a Vet, and kept the way it was in 1945. It has been there, and LOOKS like it.

I have been tempted to knock out the MEKUGI, but resisted, I want at least one WW2 sword to pass to the next generation as is, untouched. Hope you can relate to this. Neil.

post-3858-0-66740800-1485321781_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-68944100-1485321791_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-53612500-1485321802_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-09689400-1485321815_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

OK, this one probably doesn't fit the HIGH CLASS category, but it is one of my prized specimens. It is an original leather combat covered '98 GUNTO. The leather is in poor condition, the tassel is frayed, the leather TZUKA cover marked, the surrender tag on its last legs and the blade is an ordinary SHOWA TO. BUT, the leather has never been removed to expose what is below, the TZUKA has never been removed as the blade is NO treasure..... So why? I just wanted to own (and respect) a sword that was used in war, brought back by a Vet, and kept the way it was in 1945. It has been there, and LOOKS like it.

I have been tempted to knock out the MEKUGI, but resisted, I want at least one WW2 sword to pass to the next generation as is, untouched. Hope you can relate to this. Neil.

The problem here is if there is any active corrosion on the nakago, in which case it will not go on to the next generation "as is" but continue to degrade. These swords were made in the manner they are for a reason, which was to facilitate care and maintenance. Nice to see a complete package like this otherwise, and thanks for posting the pictures.

Ok Dave, took your advice, took off TZUKA, (a bit of gentle persuasion needed), and no active corrosion to speak of. A YOSHIMICHI SHOWATO blade. Kinda sorry I did it, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

And honestly, Neil, you haven't "done" anything to it, any more than the original owner would have done regularly himself. But I understand. It is "preserve as is" collector practice, which is cool.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...