Show Us Your High Class Tosogu

Alex A

Here's another Kagami-shi tsuba. This one is unusually large at 76.8 mm.  If you notice the ox at "9 o-clock", he is resting on the Buddhist lariat. He is not tethered however , but instead is resting upon the rope (which extends both in back and in front of him) . I've found this to be a recurring element in several Kagami-shi pieces of Muromachi period, some of which show the un-tethering  more clearly.  It may be a symbol of a peaceful interaction between man and nature. I don't know.  Thanks for looking

John

post-3005-0-99399100-1574731990_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I believe that this related to the steps & series below. Refer to #7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bulls

Here's another Kagami-shi tsuba. This one is unusually large at 76.8 mm.  If you notice the ox at "9 o-clock", he is resting on the Buddhist lariat. He is not tethered however , but instead is resting upon the rope (which extends both in back and in front of him) . I've found this to be a recurring element in several Kagami-shi pieces of Muromachi period, some of which show the un-tethering  more clearly.  It may be a symbol of a peaceful interaction between man and nature. I don't know.  Thanks for looking

John

• Like 3

Before reading your link Raymond, and recognizing the flute, I would have attributed the influence of your beautiful  menuki to Lao Tsu. Maybe indirectly the Buddhist story evolved from Tao?  At any rate your link is absolutely beautiful and very moving, and has illuminated not only a specific element of my tsuba,  but has provided more "subject ,matter" to be on the lookout for. Thank you again!

John

Hi Hannes ,

Nice piece that appears to have good evidence of mounting.

Personally , I have a rule that if a tsuba has been plugged and the first thing you see when looking at it is the plugs , then they should go - this would give a much calmer feel and help appreciation of the tsuba as it was originally meant to be.

However in this case the plugs are so flambouyant that the piece is transformed. They are certainly most spectacular !

I hope you have enjoyment with it.

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, terminus said:

我对铁烙铁特别是那些岩石印象深刻。我从来没有见过岩石在翼上以这种方式传递过。这是铁原道学校吗? 

Hello. I don't think this is the work of tetsugendo school, because it is very different from his style. Actually, I'm not sure about the author of this thing. I asked the experts in Japan. Some people think that this is the work of ichinomiya school, and it may even be the work of ichinomiya nagatsun's youth (i.e. the period of setsusan). Of course, it's just a statement from one family. So far, I haven't got an accurate answer.

• Like 3

Hello all,

I was not sure whether there is continued interest to post here, but I thought I’d share my favourite kozuka.

Hirata shippo Mt Fuji with Tokubetsu Hozon. Very colorful as you can see.

best regards,

John L.

1A81BCCF-2363-443D-A53E-16262EBDD8DD.jpeg

2669C63A-7C09-47F7-90B9-83A7568ED87F.jpeg

FA7E4A41-F45A-408F-B554-F35C4B4945F2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

This is a wonderful theme and any aspiring kodogu collector anyone interested in the subject should take a good look at these postings.

Quite inspiring and generous of the members to share their top pieces. I have just spent more than an hour going through the display and am hugely impressed.

I hope no one minds me saying all that ?

Roger j

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..