Show Us Your High Class Tosogu

Alex A

These fittings are ok but for truly high class requires..... a Praying Mantis (of course).  Even Better a Praying Mantis from the Kaga School.  This Kozuka has NBTHK papers but Kaga attribution is obvious.  In the auction catalog, it looked like there was scratches near the mantis.  I asked and was sent clearer photos that showed the scratches were actually a fly in the mantis grip.  post-23-0-77355800-1456314179_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I continue to enjoy this thread, and recognize half the items have seen or studied in hand by me over the years.

James' Hawk and Monkey tsuba was ex-Hartman collection in 1976(?) published, and into the ether until Darcy rediscovered it.

I sold the twin to Mr. Chen-Chen's tsuba at Christies auction around 2007.

Too many other nice pieces in this thread. James posting a few stunners for us who like some softmetal with our iron.

Might as well throw up another:   TH Hirata, possibly first gen Hikozo according to some (on the left).

I like nidai work (on the right) just about as much, though the lacquer on shodai works sometimes gives it very unique charm.

post-44-0-04605200-1456334420_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Oh, we can put up more than one? :-)  How about this then.  Its a generic Onin piece, but I just also did a VR image set for it as well - first the images:

post-204-0-06876800-1456342195_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-87437400-1456342240_thumb.jpg

And here's a link off to the VR image sets - the lighting isn't optimal as I was shooting a whole bunch of them at once using basically the same lighting (some for ebay , some just because (this piece)), but still:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/tests/vr_images/sakura_onin_front/sakura_onin_front.html

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/tests/vr_images/sakura_onin_back/sakura_onin_back.html

rkg

(Richard George)

EDIT: I forgot the directions again (Doh!) - to rotate the viewpoint in the above image sets you need to click and drag to the right or left.

• Like 8

To me this tsuba (posted by Chen Chen) doesn't look old or Japanese made.

I have also never seen such a box for an authentic tsuba, and the text is Chinese not Japanese.

I might be wrong with this evaluation and would appreciate if the more experienced collectors could address this point.

no matter the box, the tsuba look perfectly legit

signed Nara (奈良) + kao

To me this tsuba (posted by Chen Chen) doesn't look old or Japanese made.

I have also never seen such a box for an authentic tsuba, and the text is Chinese not Japanese.

I might be wrong with this evaluation and would appreciate if the more experienced collectors could address this point.

Oh, my box is made later. I am in China. So I made a Chinese style box to save it. This means that cherished and solemnly in China.

• Like 2

And here's a link off to the VR image sets - the lighting isn't optimal as I was shooting a whole bunch of them at once using basically the same lighting (some for ebay , some just because (this piece)), but still:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/tests/vr_images/sakura_onin_front/sakura_onin_front.html

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/tests/vr_images/sakura_onin_back/sakura_onin_back.html

:o :o :o

Wow. I hope everyone took the time to load those pics. Amazing. So this is the new way to examine objects online (yes, I know not that new) but stunning!

Next best thing to having it in hand. You can really get a feel for the tsuba this way. I assume vertical movement is also possible, but more complicated?

Loving this. Can you imagine having entire museum catalogs done this way..it is definitely going to change the way stuff is sold.

Kudos.

• Like 2

Brian,

Thanks for your kind comments :excl:

You may recall that I've posted spherical VR sets of items in the past - I have a rig to do them, but the number of images required gets out of hand quickly + actually the backgrounds become a pain to deal with.

I'm not sure its the new way - all the big box stores, Dell, etc were hot on showing items like this for a while, but a lot of them stopped/scaled back the number of images/etc probably due to the cost of the bandwidth (even a really compressed spherical set takes a LOT of data...), etc. 

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

:o :o :o

Wow. I hope everyone took the time to load those pics. Amazing. So this is the new way to examine objects online (yes, I know not that new) but stunning!
Next best thing to having it in hand. You can really get a feel for the tsuba this way. I assume vertical movement is also possible, but more complicated?

Loving this. Can you imagine having entire museum catalogs done this way..it is definitely going to change the way stuff is sold.

Kudos.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..