Show Us Your High Class Tosogu

Alex A

Hi

I'll start with this one. I don't collect menuki but was drawn into buying this from Ebay

Haven't had it very long so I can't add anything yet

It is a pair but haven't added the other menuki or the back as this post is only about what we like

post-2100-0-89200700-1453549956_thumb.jpg

Grev UK

• Like 4

You guys have some lovely items.

GrozaB (please sign all posts with at least a first name) that is a nice tsuba. You should really think about getting it to someone like Ford Hallam. The outcome would be very, very good I expect.

GrozaB (please sign all posts with at least a first name) that is a nice tsuba. You should really think about getting it to someone like Ford Hallam. The outcome would be very, very good I expect.

Done. I'm affraid cost of restoration will be more then price of the tsuba after restoration :)

11/24/16

10:12 a.m.

Dear NMB Members:

Thanks so much for posting such great fittings examples. It is amazing to see the level of expertise and talent of the artists who created these wonderful art objects. I do not own any high end pieces, but here are a couple of pieces I am quite fond of. The kozuka is by Nara Toshimitsu. I purchased it at the 2013 DTI as a memory of my trip. The tsuba is a recent acquisition from an old collection. I find that the silver fallen cherry blossom motif subtly but effectively coveys the bushido spirit and the potentially fleeting nature of a samurai's life. Thanks for sharing your pieces.  

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi) 

post-1356-0-06015400-1453660267_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-88275500-1453660333_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-89327000-1453660356_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-63551900-1453660378_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-22424300-1453660408_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-76288300-1453660431_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Some amazing pieces of art so far, so much to learn from.

Sebastien, I know nothing, but I know quality when I see it, really like that Kozuka with the Ishime texture.

For any newbs browsing, check out the Nanako texture in this thread, take Brians Kozuka and the tsuba that Hamish presented for example, then compare to a cheap Nanako fuchi kashira or tsuba your likely to find on Ebay and see the difference in quality, puts things in perspective.

Good to see quality folks, thanks for sharing, appreciated. :Drool:

01/24/16

5:29 p.m.

Dear Darcy:

When someone says "High end," it is clear you and others who posted to this topic are no strangers to those words and that wonderful collecting realm. Absolutely stunning and impressive grouping of fittings! The quality we all hope to someday rise to in our collecting journey. Bravo!!

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Some old favorites in this thread.

I hadn't seen the Joi f/k before. The Nara San Saku book is a fun one.

I previously owned an Otsuki tsuba a perfect match to Steve M's menuki. Last I knew, the tsuba was now possession of a French owner.

Darcy's mitokoromono and dragon kozuka:  I have a good idea.

However, the menuki have me beaten. I don't know enough to distinguish more than a few schools of menuki without seeing a signature.

I look forward to an answer on those, as it will teach me something.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..