The 2016 Nbsk (7Th) Japanese Sword Craftsmens' Competition

HI All,

I would just like to bring to all of your attention that the NBSK (Nihonto Bunka Shinko Kyokai Public Foundation) has now uploaded entry forms and guidelines to the annual competition in English. So for any of you that would like to submit your works this year for assessment, and the possible chance of a prize and having your works displayed at the Sakaki-Machi Museum of Tetsu in Nagano prefecture, this is your chance.

You can download the guideline and form from the NBSK English Website at the link below. 

*Points of note,

Only genuine Japanese swords are accepted.

If you are thinking of submitting a sword to the polishing section, you will need an agent, and your sword will need to arrive in Japan early March at the latest to navigate the importation and licensing procedures. In fact, the earlier the better.

As for the sword making section. Only swords made by smiths licensed in Japan are accepted. 

http://nbsk-jp.main.jp/wp/the-7th-Japanese-sword-craftsmens-exhibitioncompetition-guide/

In addition,  this year as a test category, the NBSK is adding a (Japanese) Sword Oshigata Art section, open to anyone. Please download and read the guidelines and application form from the website here:

http://nbsk-jp.main.jp/wp/the-7th-Japanese-sword-craftsmens-exhibitioncompetition-guide-sword-oshigata-art-division-guidelines/

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

1) Do you get the work back when the competition is over?

2) Is the exhibition of winning pieces at Sakaki-Machi Museum of Tetsu in Nagano prefecture accessible to general public and if so, when?

3) Is there any chance of meeting and conversing with craftsman and/or other enthusiasts there?

4) In your opinion, if i intend to save money to go there in 2017 just to meet craftsman, and If I don't have much experience conversing in Japanese, can a JLPT N2 suffice? Or do i have to go beyond N1 ie be super-fluent before I should attempt this venture?

Many thanks, Caleb

Edited by Caleb the Bipolub

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Caleb,

1) Do you get the work back when the competition is over?

Yes, but you must pay shipping costs.

2) Is the exhibition of winning pieces at Sakaki-Machi Museum of Tetsu in Nagano prefecture accessible to general public and if so, when?

Yes, during the dates stated on the Entry Guidelines. 

3) Is there any chance of meeting and conversing with craftsman and/or other enthusiasts there?

If you attend the awards ceremony, and the after party (Dates TBD as stated in the entry guidelines).

4) In your opinion, if i intend to save money to go there in 2017 just to meet craftsman, and If I don't have much experience conversing in Japanese, can a JLPT N2 suffice? Or do i have to go beyond N1 ie be super-fluent before I should attempt this venture?

I am sure that you will be fine, there are English speakers there too. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..