Kashu Ju Fujiwara Mitsuhira

Teimei

Hello my fellow forumites,

to celebrate christmas i bought myself my first naginata.

Here is what the dealer had to say about the blade (i think that i don´t need to mention who the seller was :D):

Naginata in Shirasaya (NBTHK Hozon Paper)

Signature : Kashu Jyu Fujiwara Mitsuhira

Shinto: Ryosaku: Kaga

(We divide 4 sections for each sword as Saijyo saku, Jyojyo saku

Jyo saku and regular saki)This sword Kashu Jyu Fujiwara Mitsuhira belongs to Jyojyosaku ranking.

The blade was polished.

Habaki :copper single habaki.

Blade length : 54.5cm or 21.46inches.

Sori : 3.03cm or 1.19inches.

Mekugi :  1

Width at the hamachi :3.1cm or 1.22inches.

Kasane :0.83cm or 0.33inches.

Era : Edo Period Circa Kyoho 1716-1735

Shape: Itame hada well grained with masa hada appearing The hada pattern could be observed well.

Hamon: Nie deki suguha with mixture of notare work. It is could ha with sunagashi activities. Boshi is round turn back.

Special feature :Kashu Jyu Fujiwara Mitsuhira is one of Katsuie group swordsmiths and also the son of Sandai Mitsukuni. He was called Chuumemon.

This naginata is wide and thick with superb jigane. It is masterpiece of Fujiwara MItsuhira.

We recommend this long and thick katana.

Historical Background: Koishikawa Hospital was established by the order of Tokugawa Yoshimune on Keiho 7th year(1722).

The population of Edo boosted due to massive influx of migrants from farming villages causing an outcast class in the society.

This lead to Yoshimune’s order of building Koishikawa Hospital. This enabled the poors to take medical advice for free.

I even learned something about the history of Kaga, the Maeda clan and the ikko ikki while i did my research about the smith.

Here are some honorable mentions:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=75213299666

Feel free to leave some comments

regards,

post-2703-0-75715600-1452869142_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-06166600-1452869213_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-97356300-1452869253_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-77250500-1452869287_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-31986700-1452869338_thumb.jpg

Hello,

i found some nailcather in the blade. These where not visible in the pictures. They bother me a bit because quite picky in these things. The rest of the polish is in perfect condition. Anything i can do besides cleaning them?

regards,

post-2703-0-28116800-1452870023_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

no actually he didn´t. You can find the original text in the first post.

Yeah, i could ask Mike, but also I calmed down a little bit. The Naginata is in 99% perfect polish and i got an discount on the original price so i think that i can live with it. My girlfriend has a better collectors mentality than i have. She said: "The damn thing is 300 years old! What do you expect?" :D.

Best Regards,

Hi guys,

thanks for all the comments so far. It is always the same thing, when i get a new piece. I find something anyone else would not even bother to mention and turn into "Hulk-mode".

I really really like the blade (and my girlfriend :beer: )!

The polish is great, the fit in the shirasaya is perfect and it is papered.

The balance of the blade is absolutely awesome... and it cuts well (JUST KIDDING :glee: !)

best regards,

So you were the one that bought it. I was looking for it and was going to buy it but, you got it so I just bought the Kiyomitsu Tanto from them.  Now I am saving for the Tadahiro naginata.

The naginata's that they have are just beautiful.

Congrats on a great blade.

Jesse

• Like 1

Hi Jesse,

i was quicker this time, normally it is the other way around  :beer: . Yeah, the blade is packed with activity and on the long side for a naginata.

The one from Tadahiro... way out of my Price range :laughing: .

Wish you luck with that one and maybe you can get an discount (i got one), you just have to ask nicely.

best regards,

They are very good about discounts.  I bought a Yari from them and got 25000 yen off and I just got a Kiyomitsu Tonto with a 35000 yen discount.

I wait until they have been on for awhile and then make an offer.  So far they have not said no.

So...if my end of year bonus/commission is good, that naginata will be mine.

enjoy yours, I think the naginata is the most interesting blade out there.

Jesse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..