Releasing Digital Copies Of Edo Period(?) Oshigata Notebook

Happy New Year to all.

Back in October I announced I had been lucky enough to acquire an Edo period hand-rubbed oshigata notebook (see http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/17768-edo-period-oshigata-notebook/) .  Since then digital copies have been sent to several highly-experienced NMB members for inspection.  While nothing earth-shattering has been reported, at least one reviewer has said they've found a number of items worthy of further research. 

In the spirit of sharing information, I will make digital copies of the notebook available to NMB members.  Please note the file (.pdf) is extremely large (300 megs), consisting of over 200 page images with more than 300 individual oshigata.  Each page of the book (with one exception) has two contrasting photographs, as different details emerge under high / low definition and lighting.  The images are zoomable, so members will be able to take a very close look at fine detail. To spare the Forum bandwidth, I will  make the file available via a sharing service. 

If interested, you can reply below or via PM.  Once I have the list of all those interested, I'll upload the file and send you the sharing service download link.

Once you receive a copy, I'd request that you would post your finds, comments or thoughts in this thread, for the use and edification of other NMB members. 

FYI, It has been suggested (by nature of the paper and writing) that the book may be later than Edo, perhaps Meiji or Taisho.  One reviewer said the way the book is laid out suggests it may be rubbings of the author's own collection.  We would be very interested if any members could help us identify said author.  The first page of the volume is reproduced below, apparently saying it is the "Possession of Nakamura Naoyu or Naooh", and includes the owner's seals, but my own research using that name has not been fruitful.

Any help in identifying this person would be appreciated. 

post-2701-0-00144700-1451659714_thumb.jpg

Download information and file passwords etc. have now been sent via PM to all those who have so far requested to participate, with the exception of those whose accounts are set not to accept private messages.  If I've missed anyone, please contact me. 

Members can continue to request access to the file, which will be available for download for the next week. 

I hope people will find many interesting and intriguing items among the many oshigata the notebook contains.  As mentioned earlier (and in my PMs), I'm asking that those participating post any interesting research from the notebook they're willing to share (such research always belongs to the researcher), along with any discoveries, items of note or interest, comments, questions or points of discussion. 

For the moment we'll use this thread for that purpose.  If we get a lot of response, perhaps we'll look at creating a separate thread.  Members should feel free to use screenshots of interesting items for these posts. 

Enjoy!

First 17 pages documented. Now I gotta do some work. Just off the top of my head so some errors obviously and a handful I can't read. I found the Yosozaemon in the Juyo sessions, 10th Juyo session. There is a Horikawa Kunihiro in there that is not in the Juyo sessions. I didn't try to look up the mediocre stuff or anything that didn't give me an easy angle to try to find as it's time consuming.

Ordered right to left and not for commercial publication. Will do more as time permits. If everyone grabbed 4 pages though this would be done in a day.

Nagamitsu (strange signature)

Sanemitsu

Dewa no Kami Fujiwara Yoshi {Uji | Fusa}

Noshu Seki ju Kanetomo

Izumi no Kami Kaneshige

Bishu Osafune Norimitsu

{date}

Omi no Kami Hojii Tachibada Masahiro

Bishu Osafune Norimitsu

{date}

Bushi Edo ju Fujiwara Kunimasa

Echizen Kuni ju Kanenori

Katsu {moto?} {So ? ? ? }

Kaneyoshi 

Yasumitsu

Rakuyo ju Shinano no Kami Kunihiro [Horikawa Kunhiro] … not in the Juyos

Sukemitsu 

Kane { ? }

Bishu OSafune Morishige (Kozori)

Wakushu ju Muneshige saku kore 

{date}

Noshu ju Nanenori

Kuniyasu 

Bizen Kuni Osafune ju Kozuke Daijo Fujiwara Sukesada Saku

{date}

Heianjo Fujiwara Kunitsugu 

Omi no Kami Hojoji Masashiro 

Kanemoto

Bizen Kuni ju Osafune Yosozaemon Sukesada saku  (dou _ _ e saku kore) [Hitatsura blade, Juyo Token session 10]

{Tenmon futatsunen hachigatsu kichi hi}  

Sekishu Dewa ju Sane _ [is this a misread Naotsuna signature?]

Tajima no Kami Hojoji Sadakuni 

Echizen ju Harima Daijo Fujiwara Shigetaka

Bushu ___ 

__

[seki] Kane_ saku

Chikushu Higo Kuni ___

_ tomo

Kane_

Iyo Daijo Tachibana Katsukuni

Kashu ju Kanewaka junin Iyo Daijo Tachibana Katsukuni

(last one is another Katsukuni I think)

Yasutsugu signature, not clear.

{Oite nanban tetsu notation I think}

Yasutsugu etc.

Yokoyama Kozuke no Daijo Fujiwara Sukesada 

Bishu Osafune Junin {rest is lost}

Awataguchi Omi no Kami Tadatsuna

Echizen ju Harima Daijo Fujiwara Shigetaka

_ Hojoji Moritaka ?

{date + other stuff}

Echizen Kuni ju Kane_

Sukemune (Probably Shimada)

Kanekatsu

Kanemoto

Kawachi Daijo Fujiwara Yoshitane

Echizen ju (flip side of the Yoshitane)

Eikyo Junen Hachigatsu hi

Bishu Osafune Sukesada

Nagamitsu (not in the Juyos)

Yamato no Kami Fujiwara Kanekura

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..