Nihonto Or Not?

vajo

I hope someone can help me.

I read Sadaroku. On the nakago is a star stamp and a number. The nakago looks very clean.

I din't find out if Sadaroku was a swordsmith of yasukuni shrine, so is this blade traditionell made?

What does the signature mean.

Pictures are a little big.

post-3496-0-16780500-1451557917_thumb.jpg

post-3496-0-94695800-1451557944_thumb.jpg

The blade looks lovely for me. The koshirae is not very eye catching.

post-3496-0-92872000-1451558174_thumb.jpg

He appears in Slough's, if you have that book.

Some good info in this thread - http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/6316-echigo-sadaroku/?hl=sadaroku

He made traditional blades and won a competition or two in the early 40's.

The star stamp most likely affirms it is traditional.

Certainly looks like Sadaroku's signature. He carved very bold kanji...I owned one once and was always impressed with his mei.

post-298-0-08108900-1451559938_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes condition looks very good for me. The fitting is not so high valueable. Only small same eyes. Tsuba with 4 Seppa washer. But with a massive sarute and a little damaged blue brown tassel.

The first price was 6k. I didnt think that he give me that sword for $2000.

Hallo Chris,

Ich würde Ihnen empfehlen keine Nihonto über eBay zu kaufen.

Solche Gegenstände sollte man nur von bekannten und vertrauenswürdigen Händlern kaufen.

Außerdem sind 4740$ Viel zu hoch.

Das Schwert wurde 1943 geschmiedet, zu einer Zeit in der nur yasukuni Schmiede Zugriff zu tamahagane hatten.

Das heißt das dieses Schwert zwar traditionell hergestellt wurde, aber höchstwahrscheinlich mit Verwendung von modernem Stahl.

Not any fraud or crime.
They are just middlemen. So they see the sword for sale somewhere in Japan for maybe half that price. They list it on eBay for a good markup, and if someone buys it...they buy the sword and sell it to you. It's not any fraud at all....but just know that you could probably find it in Japan for at least $1000 cheaper, and use a broker there to import it.

As I said, you should have looked at Joe's stuff.
You should get the sword you bought, they will be arranging the purchase now.

Max, agree with your view about not buying from eBay. But you are wrong when you say only the Yasukuni smiths had access to tamahagane.

The Rikgun Jumei Tosho program allocated tamahagane to smiths, and these are the ones that used the star stamp. They are guaranteed to be from tamahagane.
See the articles section for the original military paperwork proving this.

Thank you for helping and clearing the view.

To buying not over ebay or other auctions is difficult because there are so less gunto available.

Brain thank you for the link to the other swords.But i like gunto swords because they are interesting for me. Maybe we have a different look on the same thing. Only the sword in Shirasaya is not very attractive for me to have a look on. For a real nihonto collector this is maybe not important.

• 5 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..