Any Reason This Would Fail Juyo Shinsa?

bigjohnshea

Hello everyone,

Hope you have all been well since I last visited.  

I've been moving around blades in my collection and have been fortunate to acquire this one. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/brbnsh7enreoc1s/AAB0m-unjnLQhQ6W_6L-RYMqa?dl=0

Almost certainly a keeper for me unless something one generation older, but still financially attainable comes up.  Which is unlikely for me...

I've never submitted for Juyo shinsa, and am wondering if anyone can spot a specific reason why this blade would definitely fail Juyo shinsa?  I'm in no rush to spend the money on it, but if I'm going to keep this in the long run then submitting for Juyo in the future might be an option.

In my mind, the most outstanding issue in the blade is the nagasa.  I have seen a Juyo Shodai Sadatsuna on another site.  It is in excess of 28".  As far as I know there is no minimal length on Juyo submissions ;-)  and particularly for a smith whose works are nearly all o-suriage, I'm not sure if the nagasa would really keep it from passing Juyo.  

The two small umegane are a minor flaw, but perhpas not big enough to prevent passing Juyo.  I know things like this are tolerated better in blades this age, so I'm not overly concerned for it but perhaps the judges are more scrutinous than I expect.

The photos and information are courtesy of the merchant.  It will be obvious which one if you take a look.

Thanks everyone for your advice.  If people would prefer to voice their opinions via PM, please do.

Hope the holidays are treating you all well.  

Cheers.

HI John

Its a good looking sword. I have had one Sadatsuna in the past, a naginata naoshi which I liked very much. Unfortunately trying to pre-guess any shinsa panel is a foolhardy game and although your sword looks fine to me and I dont think the umegane would count against it you have to remember that you also have to consider what other examples exist, how common are they and is the workmanship exactly what you would expect to see.

The fact it has already reached TH is a good start but I feel it is a big leap to the next level and not very predictable.

I think it is worth asking Andy (the seller) what he thinks, he has vast expereince, also look in detail at how Tanobe san describes it, i.e. importnat, very important treasure etc. This may give you an indication as to how it is likely to be recieved.

Also remember depending when you submit it the sword could be away for 12-18 months if it is successful

I have one blade I am considering sending but probably I will wait until I have decided to sell it. In the meantime will just enjoy what it is. I would suggest you should consider the same.

cheers (and well done on your purchase)

• Like 1

Hello:

Paul's comments are wise indeed. Looking at what can be seen and what is known, my guess would be that it might be worth a shot, however, just thinking interms of probabilities, any blade Tanobe sensei does a sayagaki for has probably (>50:50) run that gauntlet before, though that alone hasn't discouraged some folks from taking another shot. Standards, opinions and who is on the panel all matter, and those things change too.

Good luck.

Arnold F.

John,

My luck with juyo is zero so I really don't have any right to enter this conversation, but...I have to ask why you'd want to see if this is a "JUYO." Getting or not getting an expensive paper is not going to change this sword one bit. You won't see anything you can see now. I doubt that you'll get better kantei. There is little more to be told about this sword. Given where this sword has been, I also just bet juyo has been at least discussed. This is a fine sword. Enjoy it!

Peter

Sometimes it is just that two other blades by the same smith have been submitted and one or both is better. Perhaps one is similar to your but has no umegane or one has more niku or generally healthier - has had fewer polishes. The list could go on. Some years it seems that people from the USA who know swords well do not have any success at the juyo shinsa just not their year. 

Thanks everyone for your comments.

In response to Peter's question, it is unlikely I will try to sell this sword, but someday it will pass on to another, hopefully by inheritence many years from now. It seems like a smart move to try for better papers so when that happens the value has gone up somewhat. If push comes to shove, and I HAVE to sell it, the same concept applies.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

I recall being handed a Juyo sword, the first one I'd ever held before, and my knees were shaking. The sword was a naginata-naoshi owned by Roy Hashioka back in 1979. Fast forward to today, I have a number of Juyo swords in my collection and while I'm very proud that they reached that level of judgement, at my age I'm not so sure I'll worry about submitting any more promising blade to Juyo shinsa. As Peter pointed out, the sword if successful will be out of your hands quite possibly 18 months before you see it again. The sword will not have changed, but the ego trip does feel good. I sent a mumie Nambokucho Nio daito through twice, on Mr. Tanobe's advice without success. He insisted it is a Juyo sword, but advised me to just wait a couple of years and try again, that is will eventually pass Juyo. However, I've chosen to simply enjoy the sword as it stands and "let the next guy" worry about it receiving Juyo. I sort of look at a Juyo or higher certificate as adding "value" to a sword whenever the sword is to be sold. Meanwhile, the sword under discussion looks wonderful and so "Nambokucho." Enjoy it.

Ron STL

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..