Antique Tsuba And His Faked Twin Or Two Fakes?

Hello everyone!

I was googling today and found these two tsuba attached to two separate auction sites. The one of lesser quality was on Ebay with a starting bid close to $100 if i'm not mistaken (no one fell for it, 0 Bids). I'm wondering if there is any chance that the other could possibly be "real" or are they both just production fakes.  :dunno:

Thanks for any opinions! 

Ken

post-482-0-41717000-1448646899_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-87352700-1448646915_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-23953600-1448646937_thumb.jpg

Hello:

Unless I am seeing things, they appear to be flip sides of the same tsuba. They are indeed cast, but as they should be as they appear to be Edo era kagami-shi examples. While they, or it, might not be in top condition, they will paper through the NBTHK IMHO, as I've seen such paper in the past, and owned at least one such.

Arnold F.

Hello:

Unless I am seeing things, they appear to be flip sides of the same tsuba. They are indeed cast, but as they should be as they appear to be Edo era kagami-shi examples. While they, or it, might not be in top condition, they will paper through the NBTHK IMHO, as I've seen such paper in the past, and owned at least one such.

Arnold F.

Hey!

Sorry for the lack of information about the pictures. Yes there are three pictures showing 2 tsuba identical i form but not quality.

The multi image on the far left appears to be a much better (original?) version of the following two pictures showing the omote and ura side of the lesser quality tsuba.

Hello:

Granted Brian. What prompted the post was hardly whether one or two pieces, but to point out that they are a type of kagami-shi and will paper, and the type has been published in Japan as well. The one on the right seems to be in poorer condition, and they usually have a nice patina of not over handled.

Arnold F.

Arnold,

Agree completely. I was just pointing out that they weren't flip sides of the same tsuba, and thought maybe you only caught the 2 right hand pics and missed the other one. But agree with your other comments. I am a bit wary of the one on the right though, a lack of detail and lustre compared to the first one. Not saying it is a fake, just that it isn't as convincing as the other one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..