Gunto 98? Research Led Me Here - Id Help

Pinmaster

I collect maily US WWII items but found this swoard and decided to purchase it today.

Can anyone get me started in the right direction on information? I have looked at the forums and other information sites but I still cannot make heads or tails out of the writing on the tang.

I am pretty sure it is a type 98, but I would liek to see if anyone can get me started on who made it, when , and where.

Manyt thanks

23230866586_8c6d1aef64_c.jpg

22628643844_4a18703c08_c.jpg

under the above mark on the same side

23257013925_3fe55b488b_c.jpg

The entire other side:

22961198920_cb4d3b0236_b.jpg

Closer of the same side as above:

22628628454_a961ee00c2_c.jpg

I can see them. 

Smith/signature is 兼光

On the other side is the Imperial Year 2601 皇紀二千六百一  which corresponds to 1941.

There is also a Seki stamp (関) indicating the arsenal/factory where it was made.

There is a load of information at the site here → http://ohmura-study.net/900.html

Steve has pretty much covered off the specifics of this sword already. Plenty of info around regarding type 98 and this is standard so won't elaborate.

Steve's also given you the name, year and arsenal stamp, but not the English translation. The smiths name was Kanemitsu.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/seki.htm

If you give us a close, high res picture of the blade someone will probably comment on quality, but looks to me like lower showata. I'm going off the pic which on tablet are pretty hard to see.

• Like 1

Steve has pretty much covered off the specifics of this sword already. Plenty of info around regarding type 98 and this is standard so won't elaborate.

Steve's also given you the name, year and arsenal stamp, but not the English translation. The smiths name was Kanemitsu.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/seki.htm

If you give us a close, high res picture of the blade someone will probably comment on quality, but looks to me like lower showata. I'm going off the pic which on tablet are pretty hard to see.

Yes, the Seki stamp means it is a Showato - arsenal made blade, partially forged, but not 100% traditionally made.

Thanks a lot for the information guys, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I was able to get somewhat an idea of the smith via http://www.jp-sword.com/files/seki/gendaito.htmlwith the symbol that SteveM gave me.

I understand that since it is a Seki made blade that it is of a "lesser (poor)" grade than traditonally made swords.  I do like the idea that it is an early wwii officers gunto that will be a nice addition to my wwii collection.

Now that I have the "bug" I may get a higher quality sword in the future... I will have to do my homework though for the money involved in that arena.

Balde close ups that may show the quality or lack there of... if anyone cares to offer an opinon.

Thanks again for all the help.

post-3470-0-60157000-1448379692_thumb.jpeg

post-3470-0-40294200-1448379723_thumb.jpeg

post-3470-0-92266400-1448379751_thumb.jpeg

Looks like pretty typical showato stuff to me - nothing much there to comment on.  There are some very good swords that come up for sale here from time to time.  Here is an example: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/18088-a-few-swords-for-sale/

The swords look nice, but I hear the guy selling them is a real @$$H0L3 ;)

Ok, I am back with another question if you guys can help.

I notice when looking at other WWII Gunto swords that most/all have a cherry blossom fuchi lock sping/ button. Mine has one that is different, it is checkered  . Looks old... but might be a reproduction?? Should I seek out a replacement or leave as is and not be concerned?

Oops, that looks like two questions actually, I hope that you don't mind.

Thanks,

Mike

post-3470-0-38493700-1448467030_thumb.jpeg

Over the long weekend I was able to pick up another type 98 at a local show. This one is in a little better shape excluding the fact that someone has painted the saya black at some point in history. On this one the Tsuba, seppa, and Koiguchi parts share the same number. The blade is ok but does not have any "waves" in hamon.

Can some take a look and see if I have read the date correctly using information that I have found on the site? I would like to see if I am learning or not lol.

Showa  period (1926) 10 8 (1926 +17=1943)  year  10th month (October)

I have looked at all the smith signatures that I can find and still cant find the one on th new 98.

post-3470-0-18860300-1448903305_thumb.jpg

post-3470-0-12693600-1448903332_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..