Nice Kozuka With Kogatana

nihonto1001

Here is a very nice Kozuka that I picked up today.  It came with a Kogatana, inscribed Uzumi no Kami Kunisada.  The back of the Kozuka has an unusual carving of what appears to be an incense burner.  I have never seen this before.

It will eventually make its way to my website.  Right now it is a study piece.  Comments are welcomed, as they are always appreciated.  Enjoy.

post-533-0-49149600-1446949133_thumb.jpgpost-533-0-51118000-1446949137_thumb.jpgpost-533-0-38112800-1446949143_thumb.jpgpost-533-0-41241300-1446949147_thumb.jpg

This incense burner motif was a 'seal' of Mitsuoki Otsuki, I've never see it used on its own without an additional inscription.  For a similar example on a kozuka see the Lethal Elegance catalogue or search the MFA on-line collection. Sadly Mitsuoki didn't make this piece, he really was one of the very finest artists of the tradition and this work simply doesn't meet his standards. Technically it is ok but lacks flair and the composition feels very predicatable. Mitsuoki's was one of those artists who actually did paint their own designs, his work very strongly reflects his paintbrush.

Ford, thanks for putting this thread on the right track. That tsuba is incredible. I also googled Mitsuoki Otsuki. He and his students produced many fine works. He, in particular, seemed to work more in realism (as opposed to abstract), like the tsuba shows. Also, the incense burner seal is different from shoshin works.

Franco, thanks for finding that tsuba. I did not see it when I did a web search. Beautiful work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..