Old Papa Tadakuni?

Ok Gents,

Here is a oldie, mei looks promising as a OG Tadakuni from my reference books and online.  Typical horimono & bohi too.   Looks like the tsuka was part of a jindachi-zukuri mounting but the saya disappeared down the road.   Very light, and thin,  no openings however; good canidate for resto I would think.

Best Regards,

Bob

post-1449-0-95284100-1445208879_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-55289500-1445208898_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-61300600-1445208933_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-67343000-1445208951_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-77412300-1445208971_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-09488600-1445208991_thumb.jpg

Nobukuni.

Probably one of the three Oei Nobukuni.

The Philadelphia Club's Binder has good information about them.

Harry Watson would sell them, if he still does. I don't know who else carried them, and my copy is in storage at the moment.

Oei Nobukuni O-tanto tend to be nice. Hopefully this one will restore without any loose jigane.

Here is one with a bit of a heavy markup price: http://www.seiyudo.com/ta-030315.htm

Fred (nihonto.com) also had a nice one and then that Juyo one. I've only seen two Juyo Oei Nobukuni before.

Fellas,

Thank you for the correction, my faulty memory of Japanese after a few days is  always showing my Alzheimer's regards to the memory kanji translation.    I did do some scouting of Nobukuni's in Markus's book and online before I went and looked at this in person,  and thought that the mei had an excellent chance at authentic Oei.   Thank you for the tip on the Philly club info I'll contact Mr. Watson to inquire about the binder.

Best Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Jean,  Here you go, big time Osuriage but the old girl still has some nice looks for 700 years.    I was on the list for 5 years and actually gave up when the call came a couple months ago so I had to decide from a selection of rusty gold.and went with this.  

The togishi was worried that the bohi was so deep that it might show daylight if the resto went poorly.  Fortunately it made it through Ok.

Best Regards,

Bob

post-1449-0-10349800-1460463169_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-41282900-1460463192_thumb.jpg

Very good, Bob, that is what I thought, it is not a classical Oei horimono. Here is one I had the occasion to handle with the typical Oei hi/bonji.

http://www.nihonto.com/11.5.14.html

IF PAPERED, this sword is only suriage and not Osuriage, it is the only solution because:

The blade has a mei (so not O suriage)

The mei must be under the original nakago ana

The nakago ana above the mei is punched and not drilled

It is the only solution if the hi are original to the blade

Ouaip,

Katana and mumei tanto examples.... This is a hirazukuri wakizashi.

We shall never know if the mei is above or under the initial mekugi ana and if the initial mekugi ana is the cut down one, unless...that's why I wrote "IF PAPERED" and "it is the only solution if the hi are original to the blade".

Gents,

I would have liked to have submitted this to Shinsa before a polish but there was nothing to see in the metal as found.   It merited a good polish just as much if not more than others in my collection of resto blades.   If Chicago had a Shinsa it would be there. 

My reasoning to send it off were that the signature does match very closely to published references in Sesko's books,  also the koshirae was ceremonial which usually means a special blade, the engraving is  Nobukuni-like skill and hell it is a tanto so the polish was affordable and David does great work in conserving the blade.    It is now something a nihonto collector would look at and appreciate  vice a back of the drawer piece.

Best Regards,

Bob

• Like 2

To try to clarify, if you find something like legit first or second generation Nobukuni you have something that is a major discovery and has a chance to pass Juyo Token. I'm not saying don't invest in a polish, I'm saying don't be hasty and get some higher level opinions before making a decision. It's possible to get it in front of Tanobe sensei and get an opinion directly on what it is and what should be done. If you get a thumbs down and it's worth it to you then choose the cheapest/fastest option. If you get a thumbs up, proceed with care.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..