Mystery Bowl

glasscutter808

Hello All,

My apologies in advance, this is my first post on NMB. I have had this bowl for abt 15 years, (I found it in a yard sale for 3 dollars) and have not seen anything close to it. The city in which I found it is noted for a large artist community, and I was not sure if this is just a local artist piece or  something more. I've always liked it, regardless. Any thoughts on origin,translation, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

post-3375-0-99817400-1444417961_thumb.jpg

post-3375-0-36039000-1444418080_thumb.jpg

post-3375-0-36827400-1444418137_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob:

Nice looking bowl.  It’s Oribe-Yaki from modern-day Gifu Prefecture.  Definitely 20th Century.  Google Oribe and you can learn more.  It will be difficult translate the script but I can see 牡丹 (Pronounced Botan) which refers to a peony like flower in Japan and 雪の (Yuki no) which literally means “the snow’s”.  In any event, its poetry that dances along with that fanciful rim.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert

• Like 2

Morita san, would the following scan as more correct 5 7 5 morae format Haiku:

"Fuyu Botan

Chidori Yo Yuki No

Hototogisu"

I numbered it  

Fu Yu Bo Ta N   - 5

Chi Do Ri Yo Yu Ki No - 7

Ho To To Gi Su - 5

Am in the correct area please?

• Like 1

Bob,

to me your bowl looks like some modern KARATSU stoneware CHAWAN I have seen. The 'shoe shape' was indeed used first by FURUTA ORIBE. Your bowl was made on a wheel and then individually 'distorted' by hand. The poem was inscribed in a background of white slip in HAKEME technique, first used by Korean potters.     

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..