Tiger Tsuba

kissakai

Hi
You probably saw this in the NMB for sale section a few days ago and it arrived today and looks wonderful
It was thought to be Mito late Edo or Early Nara
I wonder if anyone can pin it down to single attribution and date?

The first image was for your enjoyment and one of the very few I have 'enhanced'
This was the only way to see the fine detail

I am hoping the second image may help with the attribution
I shows flower punch marks around the sekigame and it's something I've not seen before

4ic85g.jpg

143fgk0.jpg

Grev UK

Pictures of the whole tsuba, front and back would help.  :) 

As for the 'kiku' punch mark on the seki gane I very much doubt they can be regarded as any sort of trademark. Hana-tagane, (flower punches) of which the kiku pattern is probably the most commonly seen, were a part of any professinal metalworker's tool set from at least the early Edo period. I've seen it used in many different schools from early Higo pieces to late Mito works by Unno's Shomin, Moritoshi et al. where they appear to have been applied as a variant of 'kuchibeni'. It's just too simple a tool to make to regard it as distinctive. I use one myself, ocassionally :glee:

• Like 1

Grev,

while I like the design of your TSUBA, I have tried to magnify the stripes of the tiger without great success. Perhaps you can look at them with a magnifying glass and see if the golden stripes are painted on or inlaid. They could have also been applied by KINKESHI (amalgam) technique. This might be a hint to relate the TSUBA to a school.

You may compare the technique watching Ford's video 'In search of KATSUHIRa's tiger'. 

I'd agree with Brian, but lean a little to Nara with a decidedly Toshinaga school/style influence. The pose of the tiger isn't exactly classic but therin lies some of it's charm I think. :thumbsup:

If the gold stripes are slightly raised this may not indicate they are applied gilding though. One consequence of patinating shibuichi can be the slight etching of the metal which would leave the gold slightly proud. The stripes do look to be inlaid wire to me.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..