Stolen Nihonto Alert !

kusunokimasahige

Dear all please keep your eyes open for this sword which was stolen in transit :

Via Facebook :

Tokubetsu Hozon Yokoyama Sukehira Custom Order Katana
Title says it all. This is one of the best works ive seen from this smith if not his best! this is the full package, sword in new shirasaya,sword bag,koshirae ect.. katana sword has NBTHK tokubetsu Hozon papers dated jan. 2014 also has nthk papers done in april (so blade is double papered), koshirae was granted papers by nthk in april this sword is in new polish and is amazing.. it has only been submitted to tb hozon but I feel its def. a shoe in for Juyo.

Sukehira is considered one of the top smiths in the shinshinto period and founder of the shinshinto period bizen yokoyama group.
This sword was a custom order by the samurai himself. translation of blue frost could be the name of the sword or ive also been told quite possible the samurai whom owned it .mei reads yokoyama ise-no-kami sukhira
dated 1806, biyo osafune junin, morisawa yoshizane/ yoshimasa's decendant nagayasu (seiso ) (blue frost)
pretty darn cool and important if you ask me.

blade is as follows
Nasasa 63 cm. Sori 0.9 cm. Kissaki: 7.5 cm.
Moto-haba 3.2 cm. Saki-haba 2.5 cm.
Moto-gasane 0.8 cm. Saki-gasane 0.5 cm.

nakago is ubu and has one mekugi-ana . the o-kissaki is just beautiful with a ko-maru boshi. hamon is suguha, kitae is itame, as I said this sword is Juyo quality in my eyes, just simply stunning . koshirae as mentioned got papers in april at Chicago. very nice tsuba and nice dragon fly them on fuchi-koshira. a complete papered package.

Attention this sword has been stolen in transit shipped from Toronto Canada to Kelowna BC via Richmond Airport BC

https://www.facebook.com/reuben.rancourt?fref=ufi

If you have any leads.

post-82-0-37865900-1444254238_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-47035200-1444254254_thumb.jpg

Hmm, something smells very fishy here. The "guy", presumably the seller, said that it had been stolen? Or was he the buyer? You didn't say. If he was selling it to you, I would ask for proof that the supposed item had actually been shipped. He should be able to provide you with a tracking number and a copy (faxed or scanned) of the shipping receipt, whichever service he supposedly used.

That's the risk of buying off ebay from a relatively unknown entity. How much money did you send him? Did you ask him to refund your money?

If it was a significant amount of money, I would try to contact the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). You can google it. It's worth a try. I would also contact ebay and give them as much information as possible.

If it was just a couple of thousand Canadian dollars or less, then perhaps just write it off and chalk it up to experience. "Never do that again", I would say to myself.

Peter

• Like 1

I do not know the seller. I only know what the guy posting the message in the Nihonto Collectors group on Facebook wrote down, and that is that it was not his sword but that it belonged to someone he knows who asked him to post this.

I have PM' ed Reuben about it and when he answers I will let you know here or he might butt in himself.

I have also on here sent a PM to Italsword to see if he has any explanations.

KM

Reubens original post :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542406446018557/permalink/1634114040181130/

you guys really know how to mess up facts. your all worse than women at a mall.. LOL .. Jon (nihonto101),your facts are wrong. the sword was listed here and posted the same time on ebay aug25th not sept 25th. a deal was struck here and sword was removed from ebay the same day. the only fact at the moment is the sword is missing and went missing somewhere between toronto and B.C.  I have contacted Reuben in regards to this post to ask for his input. both reuben and I know the details of our transaction and thats what matters. the item was mailed with tracking and insured, when it arrived  it was noticed that the  item was removed and box resealed. now both Reuben and i have discussed this and at this time we would ask for comments to be kept to a minimum and any speculation kept to yourselves as this situation is under investigation by the post office. Its nice to see a simple post or advertising the sword missing for exposure, but when details start getting messed up and speculation starts it can only hurt the situation and create very little positivity towards the outcome. thank you.

• Like 4

Jeremy,

Would have been far more efficient for you and Reuben to have posted the details of the sword and theft here first, as we reach a huge audience and you would have gotten maximum exposure. Hope you find it.

• Like 2

Brian, thank you for your input and its much respected. however in our defence we weren't given the time.  I planned on contacting reuben and discussing our next step in doing so and what needed to be said ect. This just happened two days ago. when a situation happens like this disbelief and findings ones bearings ,calming down and using a level headed approach is best..  its still so fresh and new, there was much to do by telephone and locally , he first had to get a hold of me and i then had to get back in contact with him, we first discussed the situation, i then contacted the postal authorities ect.. we spoke a couple times again, so first and most important was contacting the postal authorities and a few other individuals ect... next I was planning to discuss an appropriate action for posting a lost sword on the forum and elsewhere, one that we both felt suited the situation.. one that would be most effective in not causing a bunch of drama, speculation,untrue facts and B.S.   I mean this brings me back to the day when i told the old lady on the corner my dog was lost and i went home contacted the area humane society's,vets ect.. and made flyers for town.. but buy the  time i got to town 2 hours latter to put them up the old doll had told everyone already and by the time i heard the story i got apologies from folks saying they heard my dog got ran over to it drowned.... LOL    Ive said all I need and will not be posting again on this unless its an update. thank you to all.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

FacePlant is the first and worst place to say anything because of the wide wide range of expertise that many pages attract from guys here to people who have a hard time tying shoes = thats why they invented velcro.

Always speculation on Facebook and as they say "" Some stuff on the internet is just not factual " Abraham Lincoln 1863

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:::: I am posting this update  to prevent a bunch of questions, or speculation about the sword in question. as Im sure it will be on the open market again one day... the sword was recovered and in fine shape with no damage. long story short with out writing a novel or going into too much detail., no one knows how it was lost in transit not even canada post, canada post was contacted by myself twice recently and i received another call back just today, and they cleared the item ,case closed.. usually if an item is deemed lost and recovered weather it be a day latter or weeks latter it goes into UMO "unclaimed" at this point it sits for 30 days (in rare cases sometimes up to 6 months but that is unheard of) 99% of the time its 30 days.. item sits on shelf waiting to be claimed,but no one claims it because no one is notified..LOL... if not claimed within 30 days the item is destroyed..99% of the time its destroyed and this is why... canada post already paid out the claim they could care less about the item or even contacting the owner because it has been paid out and case closed. you can imagine how many rare items are destroyed daily. the only time an item has a chance of recovery is if the case is still an open ticket and item is found during that time period, or its such a unique item someone recognizes it.  anyway enough rambling on..  the buyer was paid out and the claim closed back in december of 2015 and refunded. he was recently contacted by myself and offered the sword back as I felt that was the right thing to do , but he has no more interest in this sword, and I dont blame him, water under the bridge and lets move forward. anyway im happy to report the  sword is fine and safe and free and clear,  if you have any questions feel free to PM me ..  cheers.