New Type 98 Gunto Tang.

mauser99

Here is one of the three blades I just bought.  Im on the fence on how it was made.  It has some inclusions in the blade making me lean tword traditional ad a forge blade wouldn't have these.  Please let me know what you all think.  And of course translate the tang. Its only marked on one side and there are no arsenal markings.   Thanks.

post-3413-0-14594500-1444175293_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-72805200-1444175296_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-92290400-1444175300_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-77677200-1444175303_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-99614200-1444175305_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-05686000-1444175308_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-18147600-1444175369_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-77144200-1444175372_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-16739900-1444175375_thumb.jpg

Quality is average but some examples can be pretty decent. He is beloved by many collectors and because of this his blades typically fetch more than far superior smiths. Additionally, there are a TON of swords out there by him (and students, signed by him - "daisaku") so his work is not rare at all.

Ok,thanks.  I'm fairly new to collecting swords. Been at it for only a few years.  My collection is growing to about a dozen examples. I bought three swords going off some photos

without them being disassembled.  I took a shot and was hoping it would pay off.   Overall this sword seems very nice.  Un-touched for the most part.  All three were found in the basement of a vet  after a home clean out.  All three were in a foot locker.  I will be posting the others on this fine forum at some point.  The late war sword Im afraid I wont be able to get apart.

As the wrap would be destroyed removing it.  Not a thing I want to do or would be willing to do.

One last thing.   Is this blade odd that its not dated ?  Normally they are dated..

The better Nagamitsu's are kizu free, id guess yours is by a student with that opening.

On your other swords,(the two in the background?) one never un wraps the ito. not sure what you mean.

Btw the other two are Navy and most likely have stainless steel blades.

The better Nagamitsu's are kizu free, id guess yours is by a student with that opening.

On your other swords,(the two in the background?) one never un wraps the ito. not sure what you mean.

Btw the other two are Navy and most likely have stainless steel blades.

no, those two are not the one in question.  I bought a super late type. It's wrapped and under the wrapping instead of the typical ray skin there seems to be cloth or paper ?? And it covers the peg and screw.  I will post some photos soon.  Its a super sword. :Drool:

I'm able to take a little time and study the text and images on that site.. The signature is closest to figure "P"   Nagamitsu [ slightly different to "J" maybe a normal variant ]  I'm assuming another un-known ?  I guess we all have to settle at times that all things are not known about all these smiths.

At least it seems to be a somewhat more desirable one.. Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..