Gunto Information & Identification

FletchSan

Hi All,

I have a ww2 Gunto that was missing the Tsuba and a few seppa. I purchased a replacement antique Tsuba which I had to file the nagako-ana to make it fit, though also need to aquire a few period seppa to complete it. I assume it is a type 98 Gunto though wanted confirmation and whether the Tsuba I purchased was also the right choice?

There is a seki stamp so I assume non traditionally made, though would also like some help translating the mei. I got as far as Hatsui Kaneoto though I have only seen reference to a Fujii Kaneoto in the Showa era though the Kanji doesn't look like fuji to me - looks more like hatsu ? I'd also like help with the writing on the attached cloth tag.

Pics below - thanks

Ben

post-3412-0-84045700-1443761833_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-14315700-1443761837_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-45310100-1443761840_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-01635200-1443761843_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-04650700-1443762154_thumb.jpg

Wow - thanks for the fast response. That's great, I'll see what I can find out about him. I'd be interested to discover what about the blade is non traditionally made.

What do you think about the Tsuba - is it the right one and is it a type 98?

Here is the rest of the tag - though a little harder to read.

thanks,

Ben

post-3412-0-35826000-1443775878_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben.,

Yes, that's a standard type 98 tsuba. Because the saya has the push buttons on the left side, it is appropriate to have a tsuba with a piercing on the left to. That way the leather loop with the female buttons which sits over the fuchi can pass through the tsuba and secure the blade to the saya. The seppa look good to, just add as many as needed to tighten the blade, or make a leather one. There are a few variants in type 98 tsuba, so I assume you're just asking if that is the right one.

Disclaimer : not a great first pic for res, but it looks like the three buttons on the right are for combat cover and there are two male on left. That's what I see anyway on the small screen.

• Like 1

Hello, The fittings you found are the correct type for this one with wood scabbard and combat leather cover.  As I'm sure you know.  The hole is to feed the attaching strap to the leather cover. I have also owned one of these I sold that had a the standard type clip release with wooden scabbard. Very scarce variant.  Some Tsuba are totally pierced through for decorative appeal I guess ? Most are solid.   The fact that it doesn't or didn't fit would be normal as all this stuff was hand fitted and numbered as an assembly. Getting back together to make it as orig. as possible is the best you can do. 

Good luck ! looks like a nice sword.  Also looks like it may have a Seki arsenal mark ?? 

I cannot read Japanese, but both are not uncommon. A lot of Japanese officers surrendering swords provided personal details in the hope their swords would be returned. Tags are also rather easy to switch between swords, so it can be difficult to know if it is correctly matched.

Tags consist of cloth (As yours), wooden and paper primarily, though I have seen a couple of other materials used.

As said, they are called surrender tags.  I assume that's what they actually are and not another collector myth.  Take some real good photos of the tag and post it in the translation section.  As all member's may not look in this section. And the translation section is just for that purpose.

I'm no help for sure.. Cant read a lick of it ! :bang:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..