My Second Tsuba, I Hope I Have Been Wrong Again ...

sisifo

Hi Friends! 

this is the second Tsuba I bought, in the first seems I was wrong and I am now worried me wrong again... is on its way from Japan, will come to Spain in a few weeks about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Japanese-Edo-period-Samurai-Antique-Tsuba-Sacred-lion-Yokoya-school-A863-/291539433695

Could you give me your opinion?

Thanks 

Not very good work bit at least not a fake. I do hope the offer was quite a bit lower than the asking price though.

Brian, how about a 'gallery of shame' thread where we can add links to ebay sellers who offer a significant number of obvious fakes?

I nominate EdoAntiques.

Shamelessly obvious.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced that the previously posted example is genuine Yokoya, it strikes me as more modern work. Here's one from Bob Morrison's collection (I hope he doesn't mind) that is a genuine piece.

I've adjusted the levels on the main photo to show the detail better - the colour off as a result.

post-146-0-66321200-1443104005_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-70068500-1443104022_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-51443200-1443104195_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My bad, Kevin. That's by Soyo  II.  wrongly labelled the photos. 3rd Gen. Yokoya, second Soyo. It was his father Somin (2nd gen. Yokoya) who is credited with developing the katakiri technique. He was influenced by the paintings of his close friend the ever rebelleous Hanabusa Itchō.

This tsuba is an encyclopedia of Yokoya kata-kiri technique.

This is a later woodblock print copy of a Hanabusa Itchō painting. The vigour of the original paintings as captured in genuine Yokoya work is what sets them apart from the uninspired copiests and wannabes.

manga04.jpg

• Like 1

zen gallery and matsukaze buy from yahoo Japan and post them here. many times matzukaze doesnt even have the item but does a buy it now if you bid on his stuff. Hitendo is a fair dealer and he posts the same stuff on yahoo-Japan for the same price... so he actually makes less many times selling to US

Hi Eloy  I think this is not a bad first tsuba. By posting here you have already learnt a bit.

Study this and compare it to the other tsubas shown

I think the difference becomes more obvious the more you study

If you can get to some shows and see some in hand it will help a lot,

and books books more books, plus NMB you will get there

Good Luck

PeteD

• Like 1

Geraint, very good point!

Kevin, thank you very much for your opinion, very nice tsuba which you published, also keep your work is fantastic.

Ford Hallam, the next time you buy some tosogu certainly going to ask your consulting service ... thank grandmaster.

Mark Hall, thank you very much for contacting me, I will respond to your message right now-

Jason very interesting what you say

Peter thanks I'll try, I wish I could see a congress or an exhibit in Spain, I have always felt very alone here.

Jean, ohh! It is a great comfort to me!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..