"ju Ni Gatsu" Kiyomitsu

Gasam

Hello all,

Can probably buy this Wakizashi. Ensuite with koshirae and a kogatana, without any papering. The price is not too shabby, and I have a chance to go look at it since its sold virtually on my doorstep. In my country, its rare indeed to see genuine nihonto for sale.

Having a look at the nakago pic, I have come to the conclusion that mei (shoshin or gimei I cannot tell) is that of Kiyomitsu from Kaga nicknamed "Ju Ni Gatsu" Kiyomitsu.

Quote from UK Sword Register no 117: Incidentally, there is a Kiyomitsu from Kaga nicknamed as "Ju Ni Gatsu" Kiyomitsu. This is because the characters Ju (ten) Ni (two) Gatsu (month) combine to form the main part of the character Kiyo. This is thought to apply mainly to Harima Daijo Kiyomitsu, a different line to that discussed above.

So, although I would be buying as Gimei, it would be nice to see a signature sample of this smith if one exists. I have not been able to find a signature sample of this Kiyomitsu. Smith database just keeps saying no such smith. In fairness I could be using it wrong...

Perhaps anyone has link to sample signature?

post-2939-0-26082100-1442262900_thumb.jpg

Edit, this must be a total gimei, the nakago jiri of the Kiyomitsus I have found are really sharp and defined, nothing like this... Oh well...

Dear G.

Given the nakago jiri what has lead you to the Kaga Kiyomitsu group?  We have only the nakago to go on but have a look here to follow up on Peter's suggestion.  http://www.sho-shin.com/sue6.html

Looks like it might be worth  buying if the price is right and the condition is sound.

Have fun.

Hi again,

I too think the nakago was maybe "cleaned" at some point, its kind of shinier toward the back. A few more pictures...

I have come to the conclusion that I know to little to buy from random guys, asking price is USD 2.000. I have no way of knowing if that is fair or not, leaning towards not I think.

Blade described as shinto, minor defects, 300 yrs old, "evaluated in Japan" to be made by Kasyu Kiyomitsu, but as I said no papering.

post-2939-0-33542500-1442379268_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-51071800-1442379276_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-19612200-1442379290_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..