Fake Antique Or Not?

oli4_182

Hi all

My question is with this item where i'm interested in,  is it legit or not? My guts say it's fake because of the smooth rust ont the nakago, there is not a lot of color variation on it but i'm not sure.
Also the hamon looks very weird to me, I also don't see any hada or is it just me? And is there anyone who can tell me what the mei says?
The item is offerd on an auction here in Belgium and it is also available for other countries here in Europe so I cannot give you better pictures of the hamon but i can of the nakago.
The seller says it's from the 18th century and that it is genuine and not a copy of China, so that makes it more suspicious for me... :glee:
Thanks and regards!

92583666-53b1-11e5-85a0-45fcfbe1e143_zps
bcf14ce6-53b1-11e5-834f-15de69efc5a6_zps
b9e65c62-53b1-11e5-9e55-fed6246ed579_zps

b9bf3a06-53b1-11e5-8665-3a44335ef9e4_zps
bc43c29c-53b1-11e5-9e82-30056af68c2a_zps
7f3b1260-53b1-11e5-8409-b0313fc91c85_zps

People need to remember one rule (especially beginners)

If something is tanto size, and is shinogi zukuri, you need to immediately suspect fake or low class. The amount of exceptions is just not worth it for novices.

AVOID if it is short and has a shinogi line!

Even if this one was real and Japanese, it looks terrible. Proportions are wrong and it looks awkward. At best, it would have been the front of a broken katana. Horrible.

• Like 1

People need to remember one rule (especially beginners)

If something is tanto size, and is shinogi zukuri, you need to immediately suspect fake or low class. The amount of exceptions is just not worth it for novices.

AVOID if it is short and has a shinogi line!

Even if this one was real and Japanese, it looks terrible. Proportions are wrong and it looks awkward. At best, it would have been the front of a broken katana. Horrible.

With respect, I think you mean if it has a yokote to avoid it. Many styles of good tanto have a shinogi (shobu zukuri, yoroi doshi, etc). At least I hope so :-) as many of my tanto have shinogi.

Rich

Hi all

My question is with this item where i'm interested in,  is it legit or not? My guts say it's fake because of the smooth rust ont the nakago, there is not a lot of color variation on it but i'm not sure.

You made the right decision by asking first before buying, if more people did this there would be way less misery on the nihonto world.

• Like 2

Ugliest hamon I've seen in a long time. Definitely looks acid etched, seem plenty of cheap Chinese display pieces with that ugly sharp edged wave. Kissaki lacks any definition to. I'm not really up there on fittings but that's been called out already. I'm sure the new owner will be very disappointed when they realise it's a $30 decoration.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..