Briniging Back A Little Luster To An Old Saya...how?

CurtisR

Greetings All!

I have a saya (pictures are of it and pattern, in urushi) that is very "dull" due to both age, I believe. It contained a koto blade - iron fittings. I've washed with light soap & water but I'd like it to be a bit less "weathered"...not high-glss of course, but perhaps to seal and protect urushi still there and give a little 'luster' (yes, THAT would be the term).

Suggestions please?

(ps - new kurigata is being made from ox-bone now...it came without)

Sincerely,

Curtis R.

post-1674-0-06097800-1440726389_thumb.jpg

Making any suggestion in this kind of situation is likely to generate strongly negative responses from somebody, but...

I have found that plane old Nevr Dull does a really nice job of cleaning up old lacquer. It is non abrasive, but from my experience it cleans lacquered surfaces, romove gunk, and add luster.

Peter

• Like 1

Thank you Peter - I also read on the Denver Art Museum's page about care of lacquer. I'm guessing perhaps those above (venerable, to say the least) mean that a 'novice' should not play with....

I will also consult my friend, a saya-shi, and then go with one of the two :-)

Many thanks and good luck to all in the future!

Curtis R.

Old lacquer that has lost it's lustre can be revived with a wipe of almond oil. The lacquer becomes dry over time ( the surface develops micro cracks) if not properly cared for so a little oil can help revive the surface. In fact with the addition of ground/powdered calcined deer horn oil is what is used to do the final polish on lacquer. If it's just a plain black finish you might use something similar with the oil.  Tin or titanium oxides are also used by urushi artists today.

• Like 3

Dear Mr. Hallam,

I apologize for my late reply...thank you very much for your suggestions - I actually had GREAT results with just a bit of oil...many thanks! Soon I'll have the tsuka back with new wrap (done by an acquaintance of yours in Kashiwa-shi) and it will look amazing. As I said, the idea isn't to "restore" but to preserve :-). I love following your work as well, and perhaps one day (if it does well at Shinsa), I will ask you to make tsuba! IF you ever have time...but patience rules out all LOL.

Sincerely,

Curtis Richter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..