Hanging Scrolls And The Seasons

Drago

Hi guys,

I'm trying to "soup up" my Japanese corner and since I have always been interested in hanging scrolls, I'd like to get a few.

Now, I know that in Japan they are typically changed to fit the season or certain events. Unfortunately, I haven't really found "a list".

So the question for you folks is: What motifs symbolize which season? (e.g. plum blossoms = early spring)

And furthermore: When do you hang sansui scrolls with no clearly identifiable season depicted on them (black-and-white landscapes)?

Thanks a lot in advance! :glee:

Tobias

I think it has more to do with you the host rather than the rules. There are rules for a tearoom but not a living room. and in tea sometimes breaking a rule makes for an exciting aesthetic. I think seasonal references are fine not always in the kakejiku though, sometimes actual flowers or fruit are used instead or you could even display kodogu that express the season.

Sansui might be more contemplative more appropriate for a zen retreat but might also have seasonal references therein. You can match the seasons or juxtapose or you could ignore the season if you wanted, it really mostly up to your own taste.

-t

there is one rule I guess; no velvet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tobias and Forum members.. :)

I learned a lot from watching NHK's Begin Japanology (Now on You Tube) .

There are episodes on Hanging Scrolls, Tea Ceremonies, Japanese treats, and one on ikebana.

I'm not sure which episode it was, but, they discuss the Tokonoma and the things that has to be known about them.

They all, and many others of their episodes, tell about the seasonal changes and what Japanese people do and use at those seasons.

Host Peter Barakan is a wonderful , charming gentleman.

I find their show to be very informative and is presented in a very learnable format.

I think I've seen every episode.

Alton :)

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to this one, but may I suggest the book in the attached picture? It is a month by month Chado Almanac that is a wealth of information that extend way beyond the tea ceremony. Monthly themes, flowers, food, words, etc. At 792 pages, it is quite extensive. I was lucky enough to pick one up several years ago for about $10... but I see the price has gone up considerably. There is a Kindle version for $18. Hope it helps,

Mark S.

post-391-0-10527600-1443375505_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm also highly interested in Japanese scrolls. I have a few, which are each somewhat distinct is what they portray and what sort of colors (if any are shown).

For instance, a landscape with a flower blossoming can be appropriate for summer or spring, where a certain empty landscape might be better suited for winter times (see this one below.. it kinda looks cold to me).

post-2850-0-03529700-1447087161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..