An Other Good One From Aoi Art

Jean

Yes very nice. However if we are talking Yamato Shizu you guys should also take a look at the sword that Fred Posted on Nihonto.com. I saw this at San Francisco just before it went up on the site and I can tell you the Hada is stunning. It may be the most active I have ever seen for this school. Really a great sword. http://www.nihonto.com/rh494.html 

Sorry gentleman to be a voice of descent, I think this is a very strange example of a Yamato Shizu blade and unlike any other I have seen. It looks much more like a very loud Naotsuna piece. I am also not sure why such over the top and "in your face" activity is considered attractive. It almost looks as though the smith was producing a sales sample showing all the variations he could achieve.

It totally lacks subtlety and refinement that I would really hope to see in a Yamato-Shizu blade.

Just as well we are all different!

• Like 1

Paul,

Yamato Shizu blades can be very very different from each other. Remember the Juyo one which was to be kanteied during Robert Hughes' kantei session, last autumn, in Tokyo before DTI. It was very pronounced all masame hada (outstanding masame lines as if etched), this one was totally lacking subtlety and refinement. As you say, it is just a matter of taste :)

This one could be a Juyo candidate but its drawback is being a wakizashi as stated by Raymond :)

Hi Jean

yes you are absolutely right and thank you for reminding me about the one we saw last year ( I got that kantei wrong too!) As you say it is good that we don't all like the same things.

I have seen some stunning Yamato Shizu blades including a tokubetsu Juyo work last year which was out of this world.

Hi,

my fist idea while looking at the hamon and hada was: nice Naotane.. :lipssealed:

I did not expect this combination of very thight hada and almost sudareba style structures within the hamon/boundary to the ji in a YAMATO Shizu.

Greetings

Andreas

Yes James, that's this one. It was undoubtedly a Yamato blade but the hamon displaid Shizu characteristics so I kanteied it to Yamato Shizu. I missed totally the Unji and the Kotetsu ones. For the Unji, I went to Aoe school and I did not even place a bid on the Kotetsu, I had never seen or held one :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this piece of art Jean and members. When seasoned collectors have an informed discussion about an item such as this breathtaking sword it provides a good leaning opportunity for the novice collector. I look forward to one day purchasing an item of this caliber to study first hand.

Jason

If I remember correctly I also thought the Unji was an Aoe blade but got the Kotetsu correct (more luck than judgement) I thought all of those swords, like the one originally posted here, were "not what you would expect" each having things that took them out of the norm.

Based on condition and assuming the attribution is solid then I agree that were it longer it would be a good juyo candidate.

The one on Fred's site has many similar features and I remember liking that a lot when I held it in hand. The image on his site looks much closer to the AOI blade than my memory of it. So it may well be I would warm to this one if I actualy saw it rather than an image. As it is the term "Tart's Boudoir" springs to mind (although I have no direct experience of such an establishment either :) ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this one too, A good looking work and to be honest I have never heard of Oishisa before (probably just havent looked enough) love the hada. I could almost be tempted :)

Yesreday I saw a Shinshinto wakazashi that a friend had just bought from Tsuruta san, it was in excellent polish and a really beautiful work with a natural flowing hamon. Aoi certainly offer a huge range of quality on their site,

Nevermind Marius. All mumei blade is subject to change of attribution when submitted to shinsa. I always say first quality, the attribution comes second. What is interesting is the price compare to quality whatever it is. This one has an old koto feeling, the jigane is fantastic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..