Okitenugui / Tenugui Kabutos

md02geist

What can you guys tell me about these style of helmet?

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/an-okitenugui-kabuto-edo-period-1742525-details.aspx?intObjectID=1742525

I think they are very neat looking and I have been doing a little research, but am not finding much on the era they were popular in / who wore them / the like. I would *guess* they were a middle level retainer helmet? But that's pure speculation based on it appearing to be a middle range "fanciness."

Any information you guys could provide would be very great.

Hi Rob,

kabuto of this style were mainly made by armorers of the Saiga school. The school was located in Kii province (named after the titular Saiga-fief) and probably active from the end of the Muromachi to the early Edo period. In case of the kabuto at Christies, I have my doubts, though!

Uwe

Well let's ignore that *exact* one as I'm not looking at buying it or anything. I was just extremely curious about this "towel" or "handkerchief" design.

When you say end of the Muromachi period, does that mean that there is a good chance a kabuto like this was worn at some point during the Sengoku Jidai? I know there is overlap there, as to parts of the Muromachi being considered in the Sengoku Jidai (if I understand properly).

Also if as you say this style was mainly done by Saika/Saiga armorers in the Kii province, does that mean this sort of helmet would likely have been made for Ikko-ikki warriors rather than Samurai?

Or does the Saika/Saiga school not have anything to do with the Saika Ikki?

Rob, As has been said, these helmets appear to have originated in Kii around the late Muromachi era. It is said that a branch of the Haruta moved there and were inspired by an ancient helmet washed out of a banking near the sea. The more usual Saiga bachi of vertical plates topped by a large circular plate does show some similarities to the tsuki mabesashi kabuto of the first millennium excavated from tumuli so there may be some truth in that theory. What inspired okitenugui kabuto is another matter. At a time when making large pieces of iron plate was difficult, it seems odd that a style of helmet would appear that uses such plates. Like the zunari kabuto of the period, they must have been prestige and costly helmets. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

Well I can tell you that they are based on Samurai headdress when not wearing a helmet. And not on a tenugui but on a specific variant of the eboshi.

35f4854d559e4790568b29b225707dc4.jpg

In this movie you will be able to see exactly what headdress they were based upon :

http://www.dramatv.tv/watch-drama/kumamoto-monogatari-ep-2-english-sub.html

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..