Nobuyoshi 2Nd Gen?

Greg F

Hi all,

I recently purchased a sword signed shinano no kami fujiwara nobuyoshi (2nd generation) ca. 1673 and have found limited info on this smith. I would greatly appreciate any info from the great wealth of knowledge you guys have on nihonto regarding this smith. Also if anyone knows the name of a book that may have info about him that would also be helpful (in English). If anyone has any pics of blades made by this smith I would love to see them. Many thanks.

Greg.

Greg, I too bought a Nobuyoshi,2nd gen. katana last fall. There is info in Markus Sesko's Swordsmith Index on this smith and I will get my notes out and post or send you what I have in a couple days. Also, check the "Shoshin" website.    John

NOBUYOSHI (信吉), 2nd gen., Enpō (延宝, 1673-1681), Yamashiro – “Shinano no Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi” (信濃守藤原信吉), “Rakuyō Shinano no Kami Minamoto Nobuyoshi” (洛陽信濃守源信吉), according to a theory it was the 2nd gen. who bore the real name Takai Kinzaburō (高井金三郎), he lived in Kyōto´s Aburanokōji (油小路), we know blades from the Enpō to the Genroku era (元禄, 1688-1704) and he also worked in Ōsaka, chūjō-saku

Ref: Markus Sesko's Swordsmiths of Japan

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I will have to get that Marcus Sesko book Paul, I think it will be a great book for the colection! I'm about to purchase the connoisseurs book so it will be my next after that soon. I'm going to out up a couple pics of my nobuyoshi soon. John, I would love to see pics of your katana if possible. Mine is a wakizashi. Thanks and all the best.

Greg

Greg, I'm back with more info for you on Nobuyoshi II.(from various sources). Hawley's #NOB 592, 60 points, worked 1673-1704, Fujishiro rated Chu-Jo Saku. Also signed "Shinano no Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi". Civilian name, "Takai Kinzaburo. Also worked in Osaka. Also lived for a while in Kyoto's "Aburanokoji" region(stomping grounds of the Shinsengumi)(see the movie, "When the Last Sword is Drawn") They were the military police under service of the shogunate. His father, Nobuyoshi I worked in the Mishina school style. He also worked on joint works with his brother(or other son?), "Echizen no kami Nobuyoshi". (Back in Feb. there was a wak by Nobuyoshi II "on sale" for $5500 at "Japanese swords & Asian Arts", Netherlands.) Hope this helps you out some,  John

• Like 2

Hello John, Thank you so much for your efforts. I only have found about half that info so I really appreciate it! I just checked out the wakizashi you spoke of, very nice!!! I have that movie and think its great, will have to watch it again now haha. If your happy to share some pics of your Nobuyoshi katana I would love to see it!!! It seems the Father and his sons were /are well respected smiths and their blades known for cutting ability. Thanks again John.

all the best

Greg

It is suriage and in a decent old polish but has been rusted by previous owners handling it. 

It has a wide deep suguha hamon with lots of ko-nie. The jigane is a tight itame which also has lots of nie. It also has a well cut bo-hi that extends into the nakago. It is papered to Echizen kami Nobuyoshi circa Jokyo (1684.

post-8-0-70556900-1439837146_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-32457200-1439837153_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-72791200-1439837532_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete, Thank you for the pics. Beautiful blade! Plenty of nie and I like a good bohi. Is it with shirasaya or Koshirae? If Koshirae I would like to see it all dressed if its no trouble. I eventualy plan to get nice koshirae for mine. Thank you

Greg

Looks good! Not sure ive seen this habaki before but I like it. The seller said he thinks  my habaki  could be original but I don't know. Im hoping to one day be able to have Kam at Jigoku Studios do a nice koshirae for mine. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..