Yoshindo Yoshihara Tsuba, Bonji?

terminus

Hey guys,

Just got my new tsuba from Yoshindo Yoshihara! I love the balance of 2 on the left and a whole script on the right as well as the ocatagon shape. Wanted to share: 

post-3124-0-88145400-1439166331_thumb.jpg

I remember the sanscript says something like God of War and his 2 children? If anyone could read sanscript/bonji, can they confirm what it says? 

post-3124-0-88145400-1439166331_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Bonji on the right as you face the omote of the tsuba is the seed syllable for Fudo Myo'o and has nothing to do with war or fire.  He is the leader of the Five Wisdom Kings in Esoteric Buddhism.  Here is a good website with fair bit of accurate information about the meaning of Fudo Myo'o: http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/fudo.html .  The Bonji to the left as you face the omote of the tsuba are the seed syllables for the two childlike god attendants of Fudo Myo'o called collectively as Ryodouji or separately as Douji  in Japanese.  There specific names are Kongara Douji and Seitaka Douji.  I hope you find this information helpful that will allow you to better understand your new tsuba. :)    

Lovely looking tsuba. I am sure he forges the iron for the tsuba and makes it traditionally...but wondering if the sukashi are cut out with a jewellers saw/carved out...or a more modern method is used?

Love to own one.

Brian

Thanks!

It was nice meeting you too!

I commissioned it with help from Mike who owns the other Yoshindo tsuba Stephen posted above!

Ahh, the Kongara and Seitaka. I did some research after the right letters were found out to be Fudo Myoo, and assumed the left 2 might be his two attendants, effectively this tsuba is themed after the "fudou sanzon". 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..