Question On Restoration Projects

How long have you all waited to get your sword polished in Japan? Do they keep their word on the turn around time. I will add that I dont care who polishes it as long as it is done correctly.

I have sent two of mine to two different polishers. They are long past the promise date. I feel like I have been bait-and-switched and would have been better off sending them to someone else.

Mike

As it is a a craft of multiple variables It is very difficult to give a true time estimate.

There is a video that has been discussed here about the Deshi of Sasaki sensei that has been uploaded to YouTube. Sasaki sensei mentions a blade that has been in waiting for 20 years .

Kam

You can contact an agent, Robert Hughes has a relationship with polishers. Ask him what the turn around time would be, I have found he is accurate. Chris Bowen may also have a relationship with craftsman in Japan and he could tell you their turn around time

I have to say that if someone was in posession of my personal property for over two years, I would consider it stolen. Maybe I am expecting too much, but every single business i have ever delt with in my life required them to deliver on time and they were required to know their lead time within a week of error. Someone once said that they wanted to find a way to get more people interested in nihonto. Maybe this is why they are not.

Michael,

If, at some point, you get nervous about your swords being in others' possession for so long, you can always ask your togishi to return your swords to you. If they don't fulfill your wish, then and only then would I consider them stolen.

Regards,

Hoanh 

I have to say that if someone was in posession of my personal property for over two years, I would consider it stolen. Maybe I am expecting too much, but every single business i have ever delt with in my life required them to deliver on time and they were required to know their lead time within a week of error. Someone once said that they wanted to find a way to get more people interested in nihonto. Maybe this is why they are not.

As pre mentioned "variables" ....if you are to run a business you need to make a living as well as cover overheads etc. while it is economically preferable to have it back in the clients hands = money in their pocket it does not mean it is always achievable due to variables. If a flaw becomes apparent and needs to be rectified or the blade reveals more issues than expected (and this could be before your blade) then it takes more time, if the craftsman becomes sick/injured ..more time. As there are more problems that arise regularly then the time taken to achieve the best outcome is not always predictable.

If a togishi takes an extra 12 months due to xyz then as long as I receive the best job he is capable of then I am happy.

As Some togishi get established and build their reputation then naturally they will have long waiting lists as do some sayashi...I have a 2 year backlog for koshirae....this is the nature of handcraft by an artist/craftsman and not done in some sort of factory assembly line concept.

Kam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..