Ko-Kinko

christianmalterre

Jidai Ko-Kinko tsuba as a birthday gift from a friend who also collects tsuba. The base metal is refined copper. The photo was taken with my new iPhone 6+ which does nice photos. Enjoy it or not I could really careless because it was a gift not often given...

post-680-0-24136400-1436447926_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Christian,

Sometimes I think you must live at a very high altitude..where the air is very thin. :crazy:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brian

PS - Here is one I wish was ko-kinko, but is likely a late Edo interpretation of it.

DSC_343.JPG

John:   sorry, forgive the east coast centric perspective- but I don't understand.

I'm probably 10x more familiar with Italy, Korea, and Japan than anything having to do with California.

Can you explain?

The appeal of that tsuba to me is that it just has layers of patina and color variation that just give the same vibe as old negoro.

The simplicity and seppa dai also remind me a lot of Hirata Hikozo works, and such works were probably a foundation for his designs. It is not coincidental that I photographed it with a Hirata (nidai).

Anyone wannta loan me a Hikozo for a photo of the two, I'll gladly accept it.

Guido: I have seen that before. Monkeys are not a theme I like very much, but the depiction of yours has an old elegance that I've always liked.

Nice depiction of "reaching for the moon" [Overreach]. Especially when he appears so relaxed on the other side.

Hi everybody,

I'm still unsure what this topic is about, anyway I wish to present a tsuba I think is ko-kinkō. The patina is greenish-brownish, really difficult to take in picture. Dimensions 68.2 x 63 x 3 mm, weight 76 g.

post-2065-0-43667300-1436729911_thumb.jpg

I have also some sanmai awase tsuba (三枚合鐔), which usually, if papered, obtain a ko-kinkō attribution (but none of mine has a certificate).

Bye, Mauro

Mauro, 

Your tsuba may be ko-kinko. But the karakusa carving seems to be later than the plate. It is too rigid and too controlled to be earlier than Edo. Also, I cannot see any wear in it. Just my opinion. Please compare this with one of my tsuba...

post-221-0-48621900-1436734019_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mauro, 

Thank you for your kind words. I might be dead wrong and the carving might as well be original to the plate. With the enlarged hitsu ana encroaching on the design it looks old enough. But the carving is clean on the inside, no traces of lacquer... So it looks like a later addition (I say "looks" which is not equal to "is")

My opinion is... just an opinion, not very educated, too.

It is a very nice ko-kinko guard in any case :)

While being crazy busy photographing other people's pieces, I took the time to photograph another one of my ko-kinko tsuba. 

I've had this one for a while, but hadn't photographed it for a long time. 

kokinko_bellflower_front.jpg

kokinko_bellflower_back.jpg

Enjoy,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..