Mystery Katana!

Well let me start the blasting! Joe is from Family Guy too, not American Dad.

TAKE THAT KAM!!!

:o . . . .all that time I was under the impression I was watching American Dad. . . .I thought there was something odd about the "maple leaf tea" :doubt: I was drinking.. . . .  I will now stand in the corner and think about what I have done.

Kam

Hi all, I think I'm just just going to wait till I can have an expert look at it in person as I can't take a photo good enough for a clear picture. For now I can only go by facts as you say Kam, anything else is just opinions and if I always listen to opinions instead of proven facts I wouldn't have achieved my goals. I'm not sure anyone will be interested but I will put up anything I learn about it in the future. All the best ????

:laughabove:

Greg, 

we have been through this many times before. People posting blades of...hm... doubtful quality. They usually expect us here to be in raptures over their great purchase. When we politely point out that their swords are... hm... mediocre at best, they haughtily dismiss the opinion they have asked for, and promise to consult some unspecified experts. They usually don't come back. I wonder why?

You may want to put your money where your mouth is and send this sword to an NBTHK or NTHK shinsa. Be kind enough to tell us the results. Personally, I would be exceedingly happy to be wrong. Good luck.

• Like 2

:laughabove:

Greg, 

we have been through this many times before. People posting blades of...hm... doubtful quality. They usually expect us here to be in raptures over their great purchase. When we politely point out that their swords are... hm... mediocre at best, they haughtily dismiss the opinion they have asked for, and promise to consult some unspecified experts. They usually don't come back. I wonder why?

You may want to put your money where your mouth is and send this sword to an NBTHK or NTHK shinsa. Be kind enough to tell us the results. Personally, I would be exceedingly happy to be wrong. Good lu

Marius

While this blade is of questionable origins I dont think anyone expected "rapture" :doubt:  I believe the OP asked a question hoping for some insight that may further his interest instead he largely received dismissive mostly one liners with very little to go on. Sitting on your "high throne of opinion" making declarations of worthiness without explanation is of very little value and if anything potentially disheartening to the Newbie. I have heard more complaints about the behaviour here than I have heard positive which is very disapointing considering the wealth of knowledge. . .maybe some of you need to consider an "elite club of distinguished Nihontophiles" where those pesky ignorant commoners cant gain access and disturb your intellect with uneducated guesses or pictures that might melt your retina's. . . . I was going to suggest a new approach but it seems evident that isnt going to happen :bang:

Reuben . . . I see this is your second. .  umm attempt to post a non helpful (except for Marius's ego) statement :clap:

Greg, do not be disheartend while it is hard to make a call on what you have based on the pics maybe finding someone to look at it in hand is the best approach. I will pm you with some possible options.

Lastly I suggest the elite consider these aspects and then they might see why I am not convinced either way

-have a look at the niku on the Nakago in the first lot of pics. . . not typical of "chinese production work". . this could have been done by the previous owner but never have I seen (and despit Guido's claim of "expert" i have not seen them all) this fresh from the production line.

-Koshirae is obviously not original (as outlined earlier)

-Uninspired hamon with tight noiguchi foun often on low end shinsakuto as well as production stuff

-Hada. . a few claimed no hada yet looks to me there is some sort of jitetsu texture. . I can see what even appears to be chikei. I have not seen this style before on production stuff but I have see it before. . .pic supplied (Rice cracker).

. . this will be what it will be and I hope the OP is succesful in getting a difinitive answer and regardless of the findings I would think it great if he posts his findings so we can ALL gain from it.

Kam

post-3318-0-73447300-1436912420_thumb.jpg

Kam, I am sorry but there is nothing to be learned from Chinese "nihonto".

A picture is worth more than a thousand words, so here are two pics to enjoy ;)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is like politics. . ignore all previous points made and just repond with regurgatated retoric and nothijng insightful.

I am now off to find a shovel to bury the poor horse :(

Kam

Kam,

Apologies, that was not political of me to dismiss the OP's sword without going into any detail. I am just too lazy for that, sorry.

I love your assessment of my posts, BTW. "Regurgatated retoric and nothijng insightful"... hm... I have to say, this sounds really colourful. I will add this to my signature with your permission.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, thank you :)

Kam,

Apologies, that was not political of me to dismiss the OP's sword without going into any detail. I am just too lazy for that, sorry.

I love your assessment of my posts, BTW. "Regurgatated retoric and nothijng insightful"... hm... I have to say, this sounds really colourful. I will add this to my signature with your permission.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, thank you :)

Permission granted ;-)

I too have enjoyed this thread so I must return the gratitude and say Thank you to you kind sir :)

. . . now where is that shovel?

Kam

Hi all, once again your on the money and I'm not disheartened in any way. I'm getting ready for work but when I finish tonight I will put up some pics of blades i found with similar hada( from Japan too) haha. Will check the pm after work running late. Have a great day to all.

Thanks

Greg

I think there are things that can be learned by seeing multiple replica swords of various cultures. Sure it might not give more knowledge about the authentic swords but it'll give other type of knowledge that might be usable when for example determing the origin of the sword.

As I said earlier I've been lucky enough to briefly own swords from multiple production companies over the years. So far the best Chinese made katana I've owned was made by Kaneie. I got very lucky and got this by trade for an average sword. This would cost much more than I would spend on Chinese made katana. I then traded this to a high end longsword, which I later sold to fund a nihonto purchase. That being said I didn't like the balance of the sword but that is quite subjective thing. Other than that the sword was pretty sweet. I'm just putting up the pics so everyone can see that some of the Chinese made production swords are very good. This is about their mid-tier sword, this sword is mono T10 blade.

df6k.jpg

905h.jpg

6agu.jpg

You can notice the "hada" on the blade even though this is monosteel sword. They can create a hadalike pattern with their own hybrid polishing process they call Kessho hadori. When you see this in person it actually looks quite nice, the best I've seen among the production swords. Sure it's not perfect polish but in my opinion these swords start to be at an overall level where it becomes quite hard for a regular person to say if they are Japanese or Chinese made. Kaneie has to my knowledge had some Japanese swordsmiths and craftsmen visit them and help building up their knowledge. That is one of the reasons how they can produce much higher quality work than rest of the Chinese manufacturers.

Here are 2 pics of details on their more traditional swords.

25feae91a5fd96c2778a17154de824d4.jpg

52509f378f820a854321f61ec25b1530.jpg

I know this is kinda off topic as this is not about the sword in OP. I still think it's important to recognize the different quality that they produce in China. As Jason said in the previous page maybe we should have an Izakaya thread or something on how to differentiate obvious fakes, low-mid quality production swords and high quality/custom swords by non Japanese smiths from nihonto.

Jussi,

excellent idea... if you want to study Chinese copies. I'd rather spend my time studying nihonto. Believe me, I'll know the difference, even if sometimes I may confuse a low-end shinsakuto made in Japan with a high-end Japanese style sword made in China. In the lowest segment the boundaries are blurred by definition, but the Chinese high-end is equal to the Japanese low-end, at least for the time being.

Then again, I am in the comfortable position of focusing on early koto. And when the time has come that Mr Cheng from Longquan will be able to produce a good copy of a ko-Aoe, Ichimonnji or Hosho, or whatever is old and venerable, I'll give up. I hope, though, that this will never happen. Then again, how do I really know that my Tegai masterpiece hasn't been already made by Mr Cheng from Longquan? :-o

• Like 2

On other boards like WMA we talk about Japanese ww2 uniforms,equipment and swords. Its the same thing here ,people dont like to hear the truth.

I write often only is a fake and dont write long theads why. People need to do some home work. Like all other items they buy.

When I started collecting in 1981 there was no computer with www ,books only.

Today new collectors have it easy with www info and lots of books.

Theres lots of forums for china sword. IMO ,they dont belong here.

• Like 2

I find it a bit ironic that back before Heian the best swords were from Chinese and Korean smiths, then the nihonto became preeminent…..now the Chinese and Koreans are coming again. It's like deja vu all over again.