Bonham Auction And Fake Tsuba

Still it is kind of ridiculous that they got in there in the first place. Curran I agree the New York group is much better however I also bought a tsuba a couple of years ago in a heat of the moment during an auction in 2012 and when I saw it in hand it was an obvious fake as well. Bonham's took it back and refunded the purchase but still, it must have passed some review and was in their auction. 

I don't think there is any malice in this just them not doing their homework when listing pieces. I would not hesitate to buy from them as they do stand behind their items if they are not what they appear to be. I do also agree though that they should have experts in each field reviewing their listings (at least at a basic level).  I found the same issue when they list tsuba that are "made by" vs tsuba that are "signed as". The level of knowledge required to attribute whether or not something was made by the smith that bears its name is no small task and very few people are able to do do that with credibility. 

Just remember, 'due diligence' rules, in 'any' transaction. If you choose not to study and rely solely upon 'trust' in others, you are setting yourself up for the 'BIG FALL'.

This is an excellent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsz0AUrS_pw

I believe from about 7:00 minutes to 9:30 where the concept of Zanshin is discussed applies here. The entire video is worth watching.

• Like 3

How would they Rob? And if they did who would put credence in their opinion? We've already established that they even have complete fake items in their auctions because of a lack of knowledge or review of the items. Determining whether something is Gimei requires much more knowledge. 

• Like 1

FYI the Sydney group never got back to me after they said they would investigate it. However I did email the folks I deal with in London and they were much more concerned about the lot. They did send an email back and confirmed that these were reproductions and that they had seen a few that were submitted to them and rejected in London apparently. The nice folks in London said they would make sure the Sydney folks knew.....

To be honest I saw the lot of Chinese fakes tsuba as I am registered with the auction house via email and I just rolled my eyes was thinking "buyer beware on and off eBay now". I don't deal much with them and don't have a contact by name. I am glad James stepped up and contacted someone at the auction house to let them know all the tsuba of that lot are fake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..