Something Seems Wrong...

CurtisR

Hello All,

I was sent this photo of nakago - the owner put talcum on it to bring it out, so that explains the powder. Anyway, I've tried to translate the mei, which I KNOW is a date, but it isn't making sense to me. I asked a friends wife - who is Japanese - and she gets roughly the same thing:

"2000, six hundred and 2" in year "Kigen" (of the Christian calendar)

Also, the kanji for kigen seems poorly done.

Am I reading this wrong, or are my suspicions of gimei probably correct?

Thanks!

Curtis R.

post-1674-0-91338500-1435249512_thumb.jpg

I believe this is dated from the foundation of the empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foundation_Day and http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kanji/zodiac.htm

So the blade should be 1942.

Edit: I should've elaborated... your sword would loosely translates to the 2602 anniversary of the empire, less 660 (the empire was founded/the first emperor in 660 BCE by Jimmu) to get to the modern calendar and boom: 1942. I am sure someone will chime in if I am wrong.  Can we see the other side of the nakago?  The takanoha yasurime indicate seki, but we'd have to see the other side (or at least the blade) to be sure.

Thanks Joe - it now makes sense that it'd be 1942, and at least I had the numbers correct :glee:. I believe you nailed it as being seki (see the other side attached here). It's on a very pretty Naval Gunto that I am pretty sure will be offered up next week. Interestingly, and perhaps others can comment on the extent of my next statement, but I learned that many FEMALES are not taught to read kanji, as it is a "male" form of writing...I was a bit shocked by this, but it seems to be although I know there are probably many ladies out there who can read kanji still. Just a tidbit I hadn't heard before. AND I don't mean to sound as though I know this as fact - was just told by a friend, and confirmed by a second who live in Japan.

Anyway, thank you and now I have a "starting point" for any I run across in the future. Just when I think I'm learning...well, I'll keep trying :beer: :beer: .

Cheers!

Curtis R.

Thank you Joe! I was doing the translation in pieces but it's fun to go "backward" and look them up so I can recognize (as with dates!). Kanji are elusive critters :glee: .

OH - and for Stephen C, sorry if I made you relapse LOL...it's talcum powder though, so.........

Curtis R.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..