Replacement Nbthk Papers?

SwordGuyJoe

Unfortunately you have to re-submit likely. It does not hurt to send them a letter with all the info and request another paper but Ive never heard of anyone being successful. Rather I know someone who had a very nice Daisho that lost the Tk Hozon papers and was unable to get replacements even though they had the scans of the originals and all the required info. 

I went though the same situation with a sword that was previously papered to Nobukuni. The previous owner had thought the papers had simply been misplaced, but later (after I purchased the sword) realized the Tokubetsu Hozon kanteisho had been disposed of with the box the sword had shipped in. Even though I had photographs of the kanteisho, the NBTHK would not reissue the papers and the sword had to be resubmitted.

- Ray 

A recent development has just come to to my attention that replacement Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon papers are now possible.  I don't have details on this yet, but will let everyone know more info as soon as it is available to me.   The NBTHK American Branch website is also in the process of redesign and will have updated information regarding shinsa, fees, schedules, etc. when it is launched. 

Replacement Juyo and Tokuju papers have been available for years but require the item be sent to the NBTHK in Tokyo for verification and documentation.  I suspect the process will be similar for Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon replacements.  Obviously, for those outside Japan, the process quickly becomes complicated, and for swords, expensive with all the associated import/export procedures.  

Stay tuned for more details...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..