Help on year or orig. TSUBA

tardjoker

I have inherited a complete sword with a leather covered bamboo sacabard from my father. He aquired it during WWII. I've searched several sights over the last few years and not found a tsuba as detailed as this. The complete sword and all items seem to be in very good shape and I will post more pictures when I can figure out how to make them clear. this was done with a scanner. TKS

post-142-1419673385323_thumb.jpg

Welcome -- Milt hit it on the head -- definately Soten School, also known as 'Hikone Bori' or Hikone carving. Hikone is where Soten resided after leaving Kyoto during the mid-Edo period, around 1730. He founded a large school and according to Torigoye there were two generations of masters with many students. This was a very popular style at the time as the samurai dress had become rather ornate and colorful due to the long period of peace. 8)

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevin, welcome. Just some additional information for you.

The tsuba is signed Gôshû Hikoni Ju [ 江刕彦根住 ] with 刕 being an alternate reading of shû.

There may be a specific book available on the Sôten school but I am unaware of it. There is some information in Nihontô Koza Kodogu V1 and also Tsuba, An Aesthetic Study", by Kazutaro Torigoye and Robert Haynes available from the NCJSC ( I think out of print still ).

Also, in regards to Soten, it is worth reading Jim Gilbert's site, there is somevery useful inofrmation there. Jim host's information found in the Haynes publications and it is quite interesting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jggilbert/qapage.htm

Search for Soten and you will find the relivent bits. I would personally be guessing your tsuba fits into the later Soten catagory.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Rich Turner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..