Unusual Nakago

Hi All,

I came across this whilst browsing the web, and have to admit i have never seen anything like it before.

Has anyone else seen this shape of nakago before?

It is obviously uncommon, but is there any reason for making it this way??

Cheers

Ern

post-1868-0-50120900-1431318288_thumb.pngpost-1868-0-57928700-1431318302_thumb.pngpost-1868-0-43948800-1431318314_thumb.png

It is called uchi-zori nakago (reverse curve towards cutting edge).

I have seen it before. I think the comment by Hamish is the correct explanation. The curved tsuka of the Meiji period gunto required this reverse curve. Usually the nakago was simplly shortened and reshaped with a file or chisel. It is uncommon to see this much trouble taken to re-shape the nakago..

Thanks for posting pics.

why the hell would you want to do that!!!!!

that would be a right shame, the condition of the nakago is very special point of the sword and its travel through history, after the samurai into the militarism of Japan.

I would compare that to respraying john lennons rolls because you like the original colour more :o  :o :o  

• Like 1

Hi Hamish,

Since this is an older sword that has been altered to fit Gunto koshirae, if it were mine and deemed worthy of polish (sho shin mei of a desireable smith in otherwise good condition) I would want it returned to its natural state.  Since I haven't researched the mei and I know nothing of the sword, my comments were meant to convey that the repair is possible, not that it should be done.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..