Out Now: Japanese Swordsmiths - 3 Volumes

As announced earlier, I revised and enlarged my Index of Japanese Swordsmiths and the result is out now as 3 volume hardcover edition.

Please see link below that brings you to my blog for further details:

https://markussesko.wordpress.com/2015/05/06/new-swordsmiths-of-Japan-3-volumes/

And you better might not miss the 20% sale offered by Lulu right now and until May 10th! :glee:

post-37-0-91038200-1430948236_thumb.jpg

I mentioned on my blog that I need a few more days to finish the eBook version but I want to discuss here about what is the best way

to do so. That means I want to do this as revision so that those who already got the initial eBook are able to download the new version

and don't have to pay extra. Also we had the issue that those who downloaded the eBook Index a while ago are now no longer able to

get free revisions as Lulu has changed copyright things in the meanwhile.

My question now is: How to get the eBook to the early buyers? An option is sending out the PDFs via download links but this would

mean that you are again excluded from downloading revisions. Other problem, I don't know who is affected by this as I don't have the

names of course from those who downloaded it. So if we are going with the free file sharing option, it would be nice if just those step

forward who really purchased the early eBook and not those who see this as way to grab a free copy if you know what I mean ;-)

Other possibility would be to upload the revision and significantly lower the price so that you are able to download it again, quasi for

a little fee, and be eligible to get future revisions and don't have to pay again. But this means that it would no longer be free as promised.

So I am open for input!

• Like 1

I am willing to pay a nominal fee for the revision and future revisions. In fact you could give a period in which those who have the first edition e-book notify you and then you provide the updated version. This list collected could be kept by you or a willing agent and as further updates are forthcoming provided to list members. John

Markus,

Looks great. Anytime someone buys a book, I don't think they can expect constant free updates. Not at the price the eBooks go for.

Your offer is very generous, but it should not put you out of pocket or effort too much.

If it were me, I would send the update to anyone who emails you their Lulu receipt of their first purchase of the eBook. Everyone should have that email once they ordered it. Then you email the revision to the same email address. That should sort out any chancers.

After that, further revisions are paid for in the future.

Brian

• Like 1

I would think that if you had deleted your email, you should be able to log into Lulu, go into your account, and reprint an invoice from the past order history?

Brian

Unless you purchased it as a guest (like I did) and you delete what seemed like an unnecessary email (like I did). Either way, I bought the hardcover copies as well this round.

Like Joe, I also bought mine as a guest, mostly because I really dislike getting dozens of "offers" in my InBox. I also often use a free service called MaskMe (https://www.abine.com/maskme/) that gives me as many disposable e-mail addresses as I need. Not sure which one I used for the e-book purchase in this case, although I'd be happy to e-mail my old copy to Markus.

Ken

Is there anyway to set it up that if you buy the three volume hardback version you can get the eBook as well? That might solve it for those of us who have the eBook, but also want a Hardback copy. (primarily us old people that still have Wood bookshelves)

Regards,

Brent

• Like 1

I did the eBook and made an announcement on my blog. As mentioned there, please get in touch with me via "markus.sesko@gmail.com"

if you are one of those who got the eBook before that change and I will provide you for free with the revised PDF. 

https://markussesko.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/e-swordsmiths-of-Japan/

@Brent: I am afraid, Lulu does not offer this option and doing it manually is just too much of a hassle. That means I am not against this idea at all

but it doesn't show up at my account who purchases which book. All I see is that this or that book was ordered from this or that country. So everyone

would have to get in touch with me directly, show me that he just purchased the hardcover set, and I have to make something like a private download

link on Lulu for their free eBook. In other words, I can't say that this person can download it for free as he just got the books but others who use the

same link to the eBook have to pay for it. Yeah, would be great if there was a kind of automatic process to handle such bundles but I am not even able

to bundle the three hardcover books in a way that a buyer can add them to his basket with just one click (instead of adding each volume separately).

13th May 2014, i tried again this morning but still no joy it just downloads the original version.

Please drop me a short mail to "markus.sesko@gmail.com" and I will provide you with the revised ed. manually. Will ask Lulu about that.

Maybe in the meanwhile can somebody step forward where the download of the revised 1414 pages version worked? Getting scared

now as the Masamune nightmare still sends shivers down my spine...

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..